Cannon

Through-Wire For Pvc Baits

New guy here, thanks for the add. I searched before I asked this question and couldn't find the answer so if it's been discussed just point me in that direction.

If you're pouring a PVC hard bait and want through-wire construction, do you guys insert the wire to the mold and pour around it, or pour first then drill to insert the wire? Seems like less work to have the wire already in there if possible. Thanks for your help in advance.

No apologies necessary. You just had me confused there for a minute. I can't personally help you with pouring 2 part resins since I have no experience with that, but there are others who are familiar with this process that should be chiming in to help.

good luck and welcome to TU,

Ben

I only have limited experience with resin pours but placing your wire form in your mold then pouring the resin is the way most people do it. When you make a mold stick pins or toothpicks or whatever works for you in your mold for locators for your wire form

Molding in the wire forms is definitely the most efficient method, saving a marking, drilling and a clean-up operations. Depending on your design, a lot stronger too.

The tricky part is holding the ballast in place so that it remains central when you pour, otherwise your lure will not swim straight. I never figured out a good solution to this problem, so ended up drilling all my holes - lazy.

Dave

pour around the thru-wire, dont try and insert it after. Much easier plus the resin will encapsulate the wire as part of the body. when you make the mold use some nails, pins or whatever at the tow point locations for the thru wire to sit on.

Biggest issue I find is making sure it is straight so the thru wire doesn't create an uneven weight distribution in the lure or distort the silicon during the curing process.

Angus

Hey thanks guys I'm wanting to try this but just about to get started. For basic construction I know I'll need the silicone, the resin and micro-balloons, the wire for the harness and hooks of course. Do you recommend buying a hard bait kit from someone like Make Lure, or would you just buy the components separately? I just want to start with reproducing a good top water lure for redfish, sea trout or other inshore fishing. Thanks again!

I would suggest the kit. I bought alot of product this winter avoiding the kits and ended up with some unsuitable stuff . You may save yourself some money and headache by getting the kit first and experimenting with it to decide what's most suitable for your process

I think it was Diemai who posted a link to a site that provided detailed instruction on how to make several different types of bait. If you followed the instructions accurately, you would end up with a bait that worked. I hope Dieter sees this post and re-posts the link for us all.

Dave

I found the website that I was talking about in post No11, lurebuilding 101. This is a dutch site and has plans for many different types of hardbait lure and other stuff too. They have generously translated all the pages to English so that we can all fully enjoy. I personally haven't tried any of the designs, preferring to design my own, but if Diemai says it's good then that is enough for me.

Dave

• Like 1