tinker

Paint Chipping

Hello. Hoping someone can help. I gave been painting some CB's and throwing them right up on the rocks at night and the paint is chipping (with big pieces coming off). I know the one recomendation is to not hit the rocks and I agree but at night that is sometimes challenging. I sanded cb down used a white base, painted with latex and then top coated with epoxy, 3 coats. Any suggestions on what I might be able to do?

Thanks

Make sure your paint is fully cured before you top coat it. 

I typically give my baits 3 blasts of hair drier, about 10 minutes apart  before I coat them. Especially in the winter when it's pretty chilly in the basement where I work.

I also give the epoxy some shots of warm air because the epoxy needs a fairly warm environment to set correctly. (warm...not hot...so I use the hair drier from a distance).

There is nothing that isn't going to chip if your hitting rocks when casting...I'd recommend you go to the hardware store and pickup a can of clear, spray on "Plasic Dip". It has a Matt finish ( which makes no difference..all finishes look the same under water..plus your night fishing)Plastic dip has a rubbery feel to it and is extremely tough...It will hold up longer to your errant casts better than anything else..Nathan

I have seen it stocked in several of our hardware stores in canada. Comes in both a can for dipping or an aerosol spray can. Whenever I have seen it, it's been stocked right beside other spray paints (kylon, rustoleum, etc). And the name brand is as listed above in "".

Edited by Tim2199

It's called "Platic Dip"...The dip able version is too thick for our purpose (it's made to dip tools in so they can be held better) The spray on is what you want.I've seen it at Walmart before but they have only stocked the colored versions..not the clear..It was in the paint section...Nathan

• Like 1