MarkNY

Airbrush Cleaning Tools?

I bought a set of airbrush cleaning brushes from harbor freight for 2 or 3 bucks. When I'm done for the day, I put a small amount of acetone in the cup and scrub the inside with the little brushes. I back flush with water and createx airbrush cleaner.

I always have a big bowl of water next to me when I paint. When I'm changing colors, I submerge the front of the airbrush with the cup under the water. I press and pull the trigger all the way back and put my finger over the nozzle for a couple seconds and then pull away. I do that a few times. If I'm using a thicker paint, I'll put some createx airbrush cleaner in the cup and back flush with my finger. When I'm done for the day, I'll back flush with AB cleaner a few times then scrub with acetone.

• Like 1

There's really no need for any "tools" to clean an airbrush. Anything you can use to poke around inside of an airbrush to scrape away at dried gunk can ultimately do more harm than good. Thoroughly cleaning your airbrush after each use should keep it free from any problems. If it does become dirty enough to cause problems then soaking it overnight in airbrush restorer, or an appropriate solvent, will loosen up the dried gunk so it can be cleaned by normal methods such as back flushing and running cleaning fluids through it.

We all started out wanting to learn how to paint with an airbrush. The first thing we should have learned is how to clean an airbrush and keep it clean.

just my :twocents:

Ben

• Like 2

Try the brushes you get to clean fishing reels with they are made of from a sponge type material. They are nonabrasive and shaped like qtips. The ones I use are marketed by ardent. I also keep a bowl of water near by to flush my brush in during painting sections. I use warm water and airbrush cleaner for the final flush

During painting session use water in restaurant style ketchup squeeze bottle.  Pour some water in the bowl cover the top with your palm and shake the heck out of it.  Do that a couple of times and dump the paint/water out each time.  Once the water stays clear after shaking, spray the water out the bowl working the trigger back and forth.  Do that once or twice.  For the final rinse of the day finish up with airbrush cleaner sprayed thru the brush instead of water.  When an airbrush gets too gunky to clean with standard stuff (water, airbrush cleaner) use denatured alcohol to clean up the mess. Disassemble the brush and remove the soft plastic rings. Then let it soak for a few hours and clean it out with the tiny round brushes designed for cleaning an airbrush. Really knocks the crud off.