mohawkman

My First Lure

The first lure I made was carved from a block of basswood with a box cutter and painted with Folk Art craft paint. White body with a red head. The screw eyes were from Lowe's, nickel plated split rings from Hobby Lobby and Eagle Claw hooks from WalMart. I knew nothing about ballasting and waterproofing, or anything about making lures. My first test was in Minnesota on the mighty 'sip and it swam on it's side but the popping and walk the dog action was better than I would have ever imagined. I was so afraid of a northern biting it that I reeled it in super fast and stuck it in my tackle box. It now sits in a shadow box in my living room.

I've made hundreds of lures that perform as they should but I'm not nearly as proud of them as I am with lure number one. Wouldn't sell it for a million bucks.

• Like 1

I like this!

My 1st lure (that i actually used): soft plastic crappie jig from a bondo mold... Master made of 4 beads superglued to a toothpick for the tail.. Color was melted down Zoom chart/pepper lizzard.. Caught a little 10" drum on my 3rd cast, that was 1 year ago last month......

But i can flash back 20 years to a busy minded 14 year old making inline spinners from bullet sinkers and paper clips, wrapping moms yarn around lead heads for jigs, putting hooks through Creepy Crawlers, ect... Cant imagine where he'd be now if TU was around in 1994!?!?!

• Like 1

Ha! 45 years ago, I was making minnow tube spinners from biro casings for perch fishing. Mom had to hide the pens from me or Dad would go nuts when he was selecting his horses.

Dave

45 years ago i was -11.... What is a "biro"??..... Sounds like a donkey with 2 wheels

I was 13.

Laszlo Biro invented the ball point pen. In the UK, all cheap ball points are called Biros. This happens a lot in the English language, respect for the inventor or creator. A famous example; even to this day, police are called, amongst other names, Bobbies, because some two centuries ago, Sir Robert Peel created the modern police force.

Dave

• Like 1

I was 13.

Laszlo Biro invented the ball point pen. In the UK, all cheap ball points are called Biros. This happens a lot in the English language, respect for the inventor or creator. A famous example; even to this day, police are called, amongst other names, Bobbies, because some two centuries ago, Sir Robert Peel created the modern police force.

Dave

Nice bit of history Dave. :yay:

Ben