SeaEagle

Trouble With A Crank

hey guys its been a while sense I've posted here.

i am trying to design a new type of crank, at least i don't believe its been made before, i have looked and haven't found anything on the net.  anyway, its made from soft plastic.  the problem i am having is that i can't get the bait to track straight before it rolls and blows out.  a thought came to me last night in bed (when i do my best thinking!!!) that the force and pressure on the lip is probably causing the plastic to actually move, there for changing the angle of attack of the lip, and THAT could be way the bait rolls and blows out.  

i did see a thread here (sorry i can't remember who posted it or when) of a guy that made a lip that looked more like a half moon, and extended well to the sides.  he reported to have good results, but of course that was a hard bait.  do any of you MASTERS OF THE CRANK, have any ideas on how i can correct this problem?  the original design is for thrusher shark fishing.  however my test baits are smaller.  

also my lip building skills are not, well, great!  i've only made two!  so i also think that those could be a big problem as well.  my lips don't come out perfectly symmetrical .  although i can work on that.  any help you guys can provide or insights would be great!

It was probably me, as I did a lot of experimenting with that moon shaped lip. I don't remember posting it though, as it was in my search for the hunting lip and I thought I was on to something special. Turned out to be a dead end as far as my purpose went. I eventually solved the enigma, but it was nothing to do with the shape of the lip.

Is the lip soft plastic or hard?

If soft, then you would be correct that the lip folds back. If the lip is hard and sufficiently deep into the lure, probably not.

It may be something simple, like the eye position or too much lip, but we would need to see pics to help you with that.

Another issue with using soft plastic for this type of lure, is ballast or lack of. The hook is likely to be your main ballast and if that is positioned too far back, could cause your problem. But, I am guessing here.

Dave

Might have been Hazmail.  But not for sure if we are talking about the same thing in "moon" lip.   What I am thinking about are round front deeply concave lips and if so then yes several have used them for some time.  Some will relieve the back so water can pass through the lip near the junction with front of the crank and just insert two tabs (sides) into the body.  These lips in general are not exactly traditional when it comes to cranks made here in the states.  

Most "soft plastic" cranks have used an internal form to hold ballast, hook hangers, and give the lure rigidity.  Something like Possum Lures (not a good crank but was floating around probably 15 or more years ago) or charlie swim bait and I guess Dances Eel being the first one I think I ever fished.  Others have used some internal harness system with an attachment (rigid) for the lip.

Take a look at the Berkley Manic Shad, or the Scrounger jig head... Neither are actually "crank baits" but rather just a jig head with a lip... Both designs have the lip on the back/top of the bait... My guess is: your soft plastic is losing the battle between the lip and body to keep the bait true... I think in the other designs, the lead acting as a keel puts up a better fight against the opposing lip...... So you could either flip the lip, or find a way to make part of the body more rigid

Most "soft plastic" cranks have used an internal form to hold ballast, hook hangers, and give the lure rigidity. Something like Possum Lures (not a good crank but was floating around probably 15 or more years ago) or charlie swim bait and I guess Dances Eel being the first one I think I ever fished. Others have used some internal harness system with an attachment (rigid) for the lip.

Storm also has a few... But none of these are "true" soft plastics, more like a hard crank bait covered by a soft body.... Hope u get this one running!

guys guys, thanks for the input.  you have all given me some ideas.  and Vodkaman, yeah i think it was your thread.  i will check out the lures you guys have mentioned and see what i can come up with.  i'll keep you guys informed as to my progress.  and again, thanks for all your help.