basspatrol

Wicked Worm Pattern

Very neat looking.  I wonder if you poured like a laminate without letting the lighter color set, to create the swirl bands?  Pour the lighter color in first without filling the mold, then immediately pour in your darker contrast color in bands, letting the two colors mix/swirl at each location?  Cooler temp would allow more separation of colors.  You could even drag a wire or kabob stick through the hot plastic to create designs.  I have done some swim baits without letting the first color set completely and gotten a swirl type effect.  Just thinking out loud, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Like 1

If those are hand pour you could just alternate pouring your different colors of plastic.  Other than that, swirling the two colors using a twin injector, hand pouring the belly and then using the twin injector.  Not really sure, it would take some playing with for sure.  

Thats Jeff at Fringe Tackle.  He is a plastic master.  I have had the pleasure of meeting him and watching him pour.  Its an art to say the least.  Play with the temp when pouring the main color over you accents.  You may need to get it a bit hotter to bond them all together.  Or you can just buy from Jeff.

AC

In my opinion most of that stuff has been lost with the modern day lure maker.  Search the old posts.  ;)

Some of it is pouring/injecting and then a little artistry with the airbrush (swimbaits for example) before the final clear plastic dip.

Edited by Travis

I couldn't agree more with Travis and I'll say it saddens me to no end, in time so much knowledge is going to be lost.  At my age with failing eyes & arthritis my clock is running, I hope one of my children will take the torch as they have the gift. 

Those worms had 6-7 colors that skid took over 6 hours to make, 12 beers and 3 burns I remember them like it was yesterday.  There are no recipes written.

Thank you for the acknowledgements

Jeff Piil

Fringe Tackle Co

• Like 1

I got a very rare chance to pour with Jeff at Fringe tackle yesterday and we did those laminated baits.  very labor intense.  I don't think you will ever be able to buy those type baits again as most fisherman will not pay for the process required for such a unique bait!

• Like 1