JRammit

Your Arsenal: Homemade Vs Store Bought

No, I don't make soft baits for the same reason I don't make Rapala copies - it doesn't seem practical due to the low cost of the 'originals".  I do see a trend lately of companies making soft swimbaits and charging an arm and a leg for them.  I like soft swimbaits ... a lot .... so maybe I should be pouring my own.  But it may bee too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

How many "renaissance men" do we have here? Who can make it all, and who still buys some?.. How much of your arsenal is homemade? If you still buy lures, what kind and why? Is there any bait you cant recreate? Or is there one close to your heart that you still buy for sentimental reasons??

So far ive replaced all my soft plastics with customs, but i just started hard baits and havnt made any spinners yet... I keep a few store bought cranks and spinners in my box, but am too stubborn to use them..... With the exeption of 2: Rapala original floater, because as a kid i caught more bass on it than any other bait.. And the Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap, because my grandfather passed away when i was too young to remember him, but my grandmother gave me his old tacklebox which was FILLED with them!... Unfortunately that tackle box was stolen several years ago, so i still buy the traps, for sentimental reasons....

I probably shoot myself in the foot sometimes, but I throw my own plastics 90-95% of the time.  The rest of the time its stuff I don't make like popper, hollow body frogs, and crankbaits.  I also have one box full of just TU creations from other TU members.  Atleast once or twice a year I will go out and only use stuff from that box.  

I also have one box full of just TU creations from other TU members. Atleast once or twice a year I will go out and only use stuff from that box.

Really??... Hmmm... I have a clever idea for a popper I plan on starting after I finish my 1st crank bait... If it works, I may send you one to use.. You could make me famous (ha ha!)?!?!

Edited by JRammit

I would so love to have a nice small popper or two. So what color curly buzz frogs would you like,to add to your http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/14631-hungry-popper/

Im kinda limited on color, but let me know what u like and ill see how close i can get

Im partial to watermelon myself

Edited by JRammit

The only thing I buy at the store anymore are soft plastics (because I haven't gotten into making those yet), rooster tails, and general tackle, ie: weights, snap swivels, line, hooks blah blah etc.

OR if I don't feel like making anymore jigs or run out of materials I'll buy a store bought jig, but I will either replace the skirt with one of my own or tie the skirt on with 210 denier thread. The discount bins are good for things needing a custom paint job as well!

I still have a tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn of tackle from before my days of making baits, and being the tackle hoarder that I am (and we probably all are), I refuse to get rid of it because it's well...tackle and I need all of it. 

I still have a tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn of tackle from before my days of making baits, and being the tackle hoarder that I am (and we probably all are), I refuse to get rid of it because it's well...tackle and I need all of it.

Ha!!!

• Like 1

I live on a residential freshwater lake with big largemouth bass and peacock bass. I live 30 minutes from the Florida Keys and 5 minutes from Biscayne Bay. At all these places you can occasionally catch fish on a barb-less bare hook. But, when using my homemade baits, I feel the satisfaction of catching fish with a bait I made with my own hands.

I live on a residential freshwater lake with big largemouth bass and peacock bass. I live 30 minutes from the Florida Keys and 5 minutes from Biscayne Bay. At all these places you can occasionally catch fish on a barb-less bare hook. But, when using my homemade baits, I feel the satisfaction of catching fish with a bait I made with my own hands.

I think spots like that are great for testing new baits... Confidence has alot to do with how well a lure works, mainly because without it the lure stays in the box...

I had one of those spots in a neighborhood near mine... Probably the best place ive ever fished!..... Dense population of juvenile bass and decent sized crappie, magazine quality bull gills and the occasional 5 lb + bucket mouth... It was truely a little gem!... I fished it for 2 years before someone decided to steal a trolling motor and all the gear off one of the residents jon boats, now it is closed....... Shame!

JRammit, can I call you JR? My life has recently made a change.

The bad news, I have to move from this area of south Florida.

The good news is I am moving to a small town on the north side of Lake Okeechobee. My new home is less than a mile from the boat ramp. 

Talk about great fishing...

JRammit, can I call you JR? My life has recently made a change.

The bad news, I have to move from this area of south Florida.

The good news is I am moving to a small town on the north side of Lake Okeechobee. My new home is less than a mile from the boat ramp.

Talk about great fishing...

Many of my friends on and off this site call me JR, doesnt bother me a bit unless they pronounce it "junior"

JR, am still saltwater, the Atlantic coast is just over 1/2 hour away, at the town of Stuart Florida. Surf Casting from the beach, near shore reef, off-shore blue water fishing and good friends with big fast boats nearby. I have died and gone to fishing heaven. I am excited about getting to try-out some of my latest fiberglass baits. 

• Like 1

That does sound like paradise!... Ive never fished the salt... I lived near Port Aransas for a few months when i was about 13 yrs old.. Some of my family down there worked on charter boats for Bills and Black Tip, but i never got to go out with them

Ok... I couldnt decide weather to post this or not... Guess it depends on your sense of humor??

Just to be clear.. This was NOT ME!.. My kid wanted to make a video of his lure just like dad.... So i gave him my phone and this is what i got back........... Ill admit, i laughed a little