Moneyfish

Skirt Scent/smell?

Hello,

New to the forum, been a lurker for a while.

I have been building my own baits for 8 years or so.  Soft plastics, jigs, spinner baits, not painting hard baits yet....but plan to.

My question today is the scent or smell that some skirts have.......I have noticed the living image skirts in particular always have this scent.  

I usually order from Barlows in north Texas, their nature scale, solid color, and solid color with glitter have never smelled or had a scent.  I have recently ordered form skirts plus, everything I ordered form skirts plus had the smell to them.  

Have y'all noticed this?  Do you know what that scent is?  Does it affect their fish catching capabilities?

Thanks for your reply's.

AC

I believe what you smell is the cured silicone along with the ink or dye that is used. I got skirt tabs for about 5 years before I got any that smelled bad, almost like gasoline. I was told that the smell can tell you how long ago they were made and I believe it. With more and more guys tying jigs and only a handful of manufacturers, it makes sense that some were just made but the stronger the smell the more recently the tabs were made. To get rid of the smell I take them out of the bag and let them air out and in a few days they are fine.

Thanks for the input guys.  I will try to air them out, hopefully it helps.  I have recently organized them in storage boxes and the ones that didn't smell now do.

TU - you hit it on the head, it smells like perfume.  More like hippies than ladies to me!!

I guess it makes sense about them being recently made.  I wonder if its a releasing agent or something int he manufacturing process.

I have some living image material that is 4-5 years old and still has the perfume smell to them.  I even tried putting a garlic scented paper fowl in a zip lock with them, and they still smell.

Only one way to find out if they catch fish, right?

Tight lines!

AC

It's probably the "out gasing" from the material. it's the "new car smell" or why your eyes water if you install cheap carpet! (or close up your camper).

The manufacturer could control it...for $$$.

I wonder if they smell as much underwater? Maybe...maybe not.