Fish N Chips

702 Crawdad Mold

I got my mold today.  It is used but in great shape, just missing the bolts and wing nuts.  I tried using my hand clamps on the mold but was getting some flashing, so took the bolts off my swim bait mold and it shot great, no flashing.  I will get some more bolts and wing nuts although my swimbait shoots fine with just the clamps.  I may have been using too much pressure, but with lighter pressure I was not getting the tips of the claws to fill in completely.  I was playing with a bit of salt so that may have been my problem too.

It is the 3.75 inch so is perfect as a stand alone or for tipping my jigs.  The claws have great action.  I shot some red and brown.  I may try some color laminates with this later, maybe green and browns or black and blue.  I like the red color, but usually use crawdads in green, brown, motor oil, and purple.  I will have to try and see if the bass like it.  My buddy used to swear by bubble gum colored worms and crawdads, I don't see that color used as much now.

I appreciate the help.  I can not wait to see how it works out for the fish!

Crawdad_zpskfxvh51d.jpg

Those look good. I was having the same issue with the tips and oiled them up with worm oil and the tips started filling out better. I'm also going to make a green pumpkin/bubble gum laminate craw when I get a chance.

Edited by Semi22lr

Taper down your temp and the claws should fill in just fine. I shoot all my molds including the BT ones without the bolts and wing nuts and haven't had any problems. I would suggest using your clamps with more pressure, shoot the bait at a lower temp ~320 and put some worm oil on the claw sections to facilitate easier flow.

Thanks, I will give those tips a try.  I am shooting it fairly low temp but will try lower, I will also try the worm oil.  It is shooting better but I am still getting a bad one ever once and a while.  I tried a few different colors, and a few with a laminated color.  I poured a color in both halves and shot a center color.  I like the green and chartreuse.  I am really liking this mold.  I just need to slow down to try colors and see what works before I make too many.

20150512_193549_zpsvq5isymj.jpg

I do not sell baits.  I just make them for fun and personal use, with a few extras to supply my family with.  My mold is an older one I picked up and only a single cavity injection, so I am not set up for any sort of max production.  I know some of the guys here are much better set up if you are looking for a bushel of crawdads .  I am out of town the next few weeks on vacation and have sporadic cell data so have not been checking the forum much and will likely be completely off grid for the next week and a half.  If you can not find a seller, I can make some for you to try out when I get back.