Big Ray

What Is The Best Temp To Bake A Plaster Of Paris Mold?

What's up everyone. I was wondering if any of you guys bake your plaster of Paris molds. I usually just let them dry out on there own for at least a week. But the last one I made I wanted to try baking it. It came out good but it took forever. I was baking at 350 degrees and I would check it every 30 min but every time I took it out of the oven it was steaming. I did that for a good 3-4 times so it took a while. Then I got fed up and just raised the heat to 375 for another 30 min and it finally seemed like it was dry. I was just wondering what is the best temperature to get it done fast.

The problem with plaster is that there is a temperature beyond which a chemical reaction takes place and the mold turns back to the original stuff before you added water in the first place.

When oven drying, as long as there is water still in the mold, it cannot hit that magic temperature, held back to boiling point until all the water has been driven off. Once the water is gone, the mold temp rises with the oven and unless you rescue the mold very soon, it will be ruined.

I did some experimenting, the results might be of use to you:

I weighed the freshly made mold and weighed the fully cured mold. The weight loss was 30% every time. I also discovered that the rate of weight loss was constant. This means that you can weigh the mold after a few hours (air drying or I use a light bulb box heater), you can actually predict when the mold will be dry.

You could apply this method to oven drying to get an idea how much water is left. The water loss is not likely to be constant, so I would aim for 27% and call it a day.

In a normal living room, you are looking at a week. Other ideas are, radiators, airing cupboards, the back of a refrigerator is a good one.

With my box, with 2 x 100w bulbs and a computer fan to keep the air moving, I could dry a mold in 6 - 8 hours. I would leave it on over night because you cannot over dry a mold provided you stay below the magic temperature.

Dave

• Like 1

It was a successful series of experiments and a lot more to it than I have written here. I even built an electronic moisture sensor that started beeping faster and faster as the lure dried. That was fun, but not recommended if you're married :)

Actually, ordinary kitchen scales will do for this job.

Dave

I have made quite a few different things, not all to do with fishing lures. I made a lot of resin bodies for testing hunting lures. I did a lot of molds when I was developing the vacuum molding method. When I did the plaster experiments, I was not making anything, just curing blocks of plaster.

Dave

I have made quite a few different things, not all to do with fishing lures. I made a lot of resin bodies for testing hunting lures. I did a lot of molds when I was developing the vacuum molding method. When I did the plaster experiments, I was not making anything, just curing blocks of plaster.

Dave

Dave... U got any useful links pertaining to this "vacuum molding"???... I had before pondered somehow connecting my little 110v pump for inflating and deflating pool toys to the flush vent on one of my molds, but have yet to try it... Was i on the right track?

JR - I just added missing images to two posts on the subject of vacuum venting. Very early work so be nice.

Hairy worm

3D legs

Let's not hijack this quality thread. Any comments on the old post please.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

My non scientific response (from a scientist) no need to bake a mold in the first place.  If time of of critical essence I just seal the mold and pour.  Don't seal the back as it is going to sweat.  Once done leave out on a rack to finish drying. 

Edited by Travis

Travis is correct... The mold is useable right after sealing, baked or unbaked, and will thoroughly dry over time... I only recently started baking mine due to a molding problem (the green kind).. I would use them a few times, put them away in my drawer, pull them out a month later and they were covered with fuzz..... Havnt had the issue since i started baking them

I remember reading here, years ago, that 150-170 was the temp. to dry POP molds in the oven, with the door ajar.

Key is in Mark's last 4 words - leave the door ajar.... the water in the mold has to evaporate.   I have a little 14x14x14 scientific oven I use for things like this.... with the door sealed molds just gets hot and humid and don't really dry... leave the door open a little and it's 10x faster.  You need that air circulation to "wick" the moisture away.... otherwise it's just a hot wet mold instead of a room temp wet mold.

J.

The following is taken from USG (US Gypsum) web page entitled "Drying Plaster Casts": http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_Marketing_Communications/united_states/product_promotional_materials/finished_assets/drying-plaster-casts-application-en-IG502.pdf

Quote.

The main physical limitation in drying a plaster cast is the maximum temperature at which the dryer can operate and not calcine the cast. Recommended temperatures are 110 to 120 °F for USG® White Art Plaster, No. 1 Casting Plaster, Moulding Plaster, Pottery Plaster, HYDROCAL® Brand White and HYDRO-STONE® Gypsum Cements; from 125 to 130 °F for Industrial Plaster PC. Operating much above these temperatures will result in surface calcination; that is, surfaces of the casts, especially those in front of hot-air ducts, will become soft and powdery.

Unquote.

Ray, remember, you're trying to dry the pop, not cure it.  It cures as it dries and sets.

It will air dry, if you leave it long enough.  People put it in a oven or a drying box just to speed up the drying process.

If I remember right, Vodkaman Dave actually weighed his pop before and after he added water, and then dried it until it reached a percentage of the dry pop weight, so he was sure of how much water was left.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember what that percentage was.

Edited by mark poulson

Mark - Yes, I covered it in post No2. The weight loss from a newly poured mold to a fully dried mold is 30%. What is worth mentioning here, is that there is no need to go for a totally dry mold, especially if oven drying.

There are other indicators that show how wet or dry a mold is:

Hold a glass near the mold removed from the oven. If the glass clouds up with heavy condensation then it is still wet.

The surface of a dry mold feels just warm to the touch, even if it has just come out of a hot oven, it can still be touched and feels just warm.

If you tap a dry mold with your finger nail, it has a 'ping' sound to it, a wet mold has a dull thud if you can hear anything at all.

Keep a dry mold close by for making comparisons until you build up experience which will tell you everything.

Dave

• Like 1