shangler

What Injection Machine For 9" Shads

I use two presto pots and ten molds get about 100 an hour. These are 8" baits. I pull them early and put them in water to cool. There is some tricks to it but can be done for sure.

I am glad you posted Frank. When I read this thread earlier I was thinking I could make a couple hundred baits in a few hours hand injecting with enough plastic cooked and enough molds.

One of those Injection machines may fit your needs.

Absolutely not trying to offend, but would those work on such a large bait?

My three concerns:

Does it push the plastic out fast enough to fill a 9" swimbait

Does it hold enough plastic to not to keep running out

Is there enough clearance underneath if it was a top port mold?

Absolutely not trying to offend, but would those work on such a large bait?

My three concerns:

Does it push the plastic out fast enough to fill a 9" swimbait

Does it hold enough plastic to not to keep running out

Is there enough clearance underneath if it was a top port mold?

It will push plastic as fast as you need to fill any mold.

Would not hold enough to do it without having a pot next to it filled with plastic ready to go. Having that next to it make me say just a presto would do it(and I do it a lot) But some need to have a machine that does something magic. I have found that hard work beats out a machine pretty much all the time.

Clearance under it could be modified with a stand to hold it up higher.

A nine inch bait will take about 2 oz of plastic and you will need a lot of plastic ready to do any type of production.

• Like 1

Would not hold enough to do it without having a pot next to it filled with plastic ready to go. Having that next to it make me say just a presto would do it(and I do it a lot) But some need to have a machine that does something magic. I have found that hard work beats out a machine pretty much all the time.

A nine inch bait will take about 2 oz of plastic and you will need a lot of plastic ready to do any type of production.

Without any way of cooling the molds you would need quite the number of cavities to handle any kind of production as well. 

Without any way of cooling the molds you would need quite the number of cavities to handle any kind of production as well.

I have 25 for one customer but found 10 to be the best. I do pull them and cool them in water. This keeps denting down a lot.

You mean there is still hard work involved in producing and selling soft plastic baits even with an injection machine?  :nuhuh:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a machine that did do magic and all a person would have to do is press the start button and reap the profits.

Cheap Presto pots are the easiest way to preheat additional plastic and it can be scooped out with a pyrex cup and dumped into the machines pots in less than a minute. Considering mold cooling time, there is no loss of production by refilling the machines pots. But there is some slight work involed...

You mean there is still hard work involved in producing and selling soft plastic baits even with an injection machine?  :nuhuh:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a machine that did do magic and all a person would have to do is press the start button and reap the profits.

Cheap Presto pots are the easiest way to preheat additional plastic and it can be scooped out with a pyrex cup and dumped into the machines pots in less than a minute. Considering mold cooling time, there is no loss of production by refilling the machines pots. But there is some slight work involed...

Yes it can be but it could be sucked up in an injector just as fast and you don't need the holding tank. I find the press to be much better with small molds, which use less plastic. This way color change will be much less. Just saying with big molds the plastic goes so fast it seems like you are just moving it from place to place so why add a step.

No offense, but I respectfully disagree with you about this.
I can not see how you can produce more baits with a hand injector than with an injection machine, even with reloading the pots with preheated plastic. My production increased 4 fold with a mentioned machine.

No offense, but I respectfully disagree with you about this.

I can not see how you can produce more baits with a hand injector than with an injection machine, even with reloading the pots with preheated plastic. My production increased 4 fold with a mentioned machine.

What machine do you have?

Well then if you say it is faster for you then it may just be for you. But using that amount of plastic from my experience it is a waste of time moving plastic that can stay in one place. And if I said I have a 6 quart rite heat pot to hold my plastic would you still say it is cheap. Cause they do the same thing just hold plastic at a usable temp. Spending a lot of money on a machine does not make thing better or a replacement for hard work.

• Like 1

I prefer to work smart, not hard! Opening a lid and dumping in two scoops of heated plastic is a whole lot easier for me than hand injecting say 10 molds, especially large molds that need prolonged pressure to avoid dents. I can take my hands off the machines once the nozzle is engaged in the mold sprue if the mold needs prolonged pressure and do other things, like pull baits out of molds that have already been shot and readying them again . Kinda hard to do that if your standing over a mold holding pressure on a hand injector, then cleaning out the injector after every round. Not to mention the huge amount of plastic the needs to be remelted from clearing a hand injector in a production run. But what do I know, your the expert here.

No I am saying that I don't hold pressure and don't have to reheat anything from the injector. I have the first press he ever made and love it for what I use it for. But there are many reasons for this application I would not use it. Heck for that kind of money I would buy the Ultra Molds unit at least it holds 2plus gallons. Most of the bells and whistles are included too. As long as we are spending other people's money buy two so one can cool down while the other has another color or two.

• Like 1

Heck for that kind of money I would buy the Ultra Molds unit at least it holds 2plus gallons. Most of the bells and whistles are included too. As long as we are spending other people's money buy two so one can cool down while the other has another color or two.

4 gallons total safely (2 per side). I am waiting for Rupert to send my second set at this very moment. Will be very nice to be able to change colours in 15min when shooting laminates.