Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mohctep

New to group-questions on making vintage style wood lures...

14 posts in this topic

I'm interested in making wood,vintage style lures -

such as the Heddon Vamp,Chub Creek Gar,and others.Anybody here that does such things,or has any pics or advice? :)

Check with Funny Farm. He does allot of this type of work.

Skeeter

I am new to the group also, so I don't know how much help I can be, aside sharing the mistakes I have made. 90% of what I know about lure making was learned from this forum. I took the time to go back and read many of the older posts, almost everything you need to know is here somewhere. (the Search function is quite handy.)

I am interested in vintage Florida baits, especially the following:

Jim Pfeffer

Eger Baits

Robinson Baits (Best Yet Popper)

Porter Baits (Ted Smallwood lures)

Florida Fishing Tackle -Barracuda Brand

The Creek Chub Gar is one of the lures I would like to make, it is on my wish list.

If we have any common interests or if you have any specific questions I will try to help.

Well I know what I will be working on this weekend.

Wasn't there also a brown version or I am I thinking of the Heddon Florida Special?

Thanks for the info,guys! I will hopefully be able to get started very soon,and maybe I'll post some pics for opinions after I get decent at it.This site is a GREAT resource-Thanks again. :D

I have a similar interest in the vintage lures, although I consider myself to be a beginer also. What I have done is use a search engine to locate websites for collectors. There's a ton of these sites out there and they have some fantastic information on the different models and color patterns. I also watch the vintage lures section on ebay and buy old beaters for cheap to use as patterns. You can also see a lot of color pictures of vintage lures for sale, and I print the pictures of the ones that interest me to use for reference. Hope this helps........Dale

Those don't look like they'd be too hard to make or paint.

I made this one for a friend going to Canada for big Northern Pike.

Nine inches long.

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

chub1.jpg

874_thumb.attach

That's more of a Devil's Horse than a CCBC gar. The tapered snout makes it so cool.

I will have my gar done in a few days. Thanks to Husky for throwing down the challenge and getting me motivated.

You're right, it is like a devils horse.

What I meant was it looks like you could form it this way then make a few cuts on the ban saw for the snout.

I think it's an awesome looking lure, love those oldies but goodies.

Here's my gar! Sorry for the low quality pictures, I lent my digital camera out and it won't be back until next week, I had to get by with a freebie that came with my PC. The color is much brighter and it has much more sparkle.

It has a coat of pearl over a white base coat, I put a coat of florescent green over that then a light gold scale pattern over the back and sides. I then added a light coat of gold over the entire body. The color is much brighter and it has much more sparkle than the pictures show.

I think is my new favorite bait :D

gar2.jpg

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg