gliders

Glitter Or Foil

In my neck of the woods, I don't see a lot of huge pike, but those bigger gators I do manage to catch are always caught on foiled baits.  I have never caught one with a glittered bait, which is kind of weird.  Since I fish the Missouri River sections between South Dakota and Nebraska, I don't typically see clear water like the lucky guys up north.  I would assume based on past experience that while glitters have their place, I think the foils are going to take the lions share of northerns.  Cannot speak for musky as I've only managed to scrounge up a tiger in a local reservoir on a big spinnerbait.  

I will say that I do catch a lot of bass with glittered baits.  Again murkier water here but their preferences seems to change daily.   

Thanks reply lokki, seems like visibility your main priority where you fish.The Scottish lochs I fish tend to be clear or peat/tannin stained, and I have found lures with flat glitter can be as effective or more more effective depending on amount of sunlight. What I find is on the realy bright days the more subtle flash of flat glitter produces more takes.

Some days they are magic, others they are miss.  I used to think that cloud cover was the primary factor in that but the northern pike and walleyes of the Missouri River have taught me otherwise on numerous occasions.  Personally, I love the pattern.  I even make my own version of it on the cranks that I pour with resin. I'm just adding an extra color (red) and I have a definite placement preference in terms of paint. I am finding though I have much better luck with that pattern in late summer and into fall.  Easier for the fish to see and they are all about getting as much food into their belly before it ices over.  I think firetiger is THE color to have late season, but then again, that seems to be the case for the waters I tend to fish.  Can't claim that as fact for other waters, especially on your side of the pond.  All the waters I fish are slightly eutrophic or late mesotrophic due to the rivers course of flowing through farm country.