69_GS_400

What Kind Of Sealer For Wood Bait?

I do not have an air brush gun and did some searching around on what I could buy to dip my wood bait in to seal it. Meaning the 1st coat of what ever seals the wood on the bait. Ive read and watch various threads and videos of different ways to seal a wood bait. Some very conflicting after reading people were having troubles with paint or top coat lifting. I have read people using rattle can primer, polyurethane mixed with mineral spirits, and just dipping the baits into a house hold can primer.

What is the best to use and easiest considering I do not have a gun?

If the best results are from using something that can only be sprayed from an air brush gun could someone recommend an affordable air brush gun brand or model and what type of initial sealer, paint, and top coat to use?

Thanks

Mike

The easiest sealer in my opinion is dewaxed shellac.  No issues at all with any paint or top coat using it.  Can dip or brush on and it dries rapidly and cleans up with alcohol easily.  Neither of the shellacs are going to fill or cover any imperfections, purely just to seal prior to painting.  I have used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer to dip baits to cover inperfections but would rather sand than try covering up something.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/interior-wood-finishes/sealcoat-universal-sanding-sealer

I haven't had issues with the spray on stuff either but it isn't dewaxed. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-12-oz-Clear-Shellac-Spray-408/100176744

Now I use this on anything but balsa.  If using balsa I will use superglue or devcon epoxy.

I have used solo cups/thinner method and propionate also and they both do a better job at covering imperfections however can have issues with solvents at times.  I never had any problems but know some did. As far as airbrush I have been using Iwata  Eclipse HP SBS for some time with no complaints.  

I mainly use shellac as sealer, water based paints (Createx), and seal with Devcon.  Everyone has their own poison and really wouldn't read too much into any of it as usually comes down to the user and not the product.  I have never had any issues with that combination as far as compatibility.  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

When making cranks I glue in the ballast and hook hangers and the line tie if applicable. I then will seal the bait.  Once dry I then paint.  After painting then I glue in the lip/line tie and eyes.  I use devcon 5 minute for this application typically.  Once that is done I clear coat the bait.  After it cures I clean up the hook eyes and all good to go. 

Some will glue the lip and mask it off with tape (painters what I used in the past) then paint.  I just don't like the look and find it more effort that way but perfectly satisfactory method also.