Cami

What About 3Rd Thin Laminated Colour?

Hi Folks,

recently I've seen the fantastic creations made by Fringe Tackle ... Great.

I was "simply" wondering in which way it is possible to obtain such THIN coloured line between the two main laminated colours. Is it a real intermediate layer? or is it possible to obtain the intermediate line in another way?

Thanks in advance to anyone wants to reveal the right technique.

Bye

Cami

Dear Bassinfool, thank you very much for your opinion, with this technique we obtain a real intermediate layer. At same time I suppose that the FringeTackle's Artist uses a top open mould ... so where is the trick? Following your idea and using a two pieces closing horizontal mould, for instance for a paddle tail jerk, what about hand pour the bottom, leave some drops of dye just behind the sprue door and shoot the top? will we obtain a straight line between ? and is it possible to do something like this with an open pour mould?

Of course all interventions are welcome.

Bye.

Cami

I can't help with injection molds, but I made those thin veins all the time with open pours.  It takes a bunch of practice, but the key is to pour each color REALLY quick before the plastic's had a chance to cool.  You just run a thin strip of your vein color right down the middle of the bait.  If the last pour is done quickly enough, the vein will actually "split," giving the effect of 2 thin stripes on the side of the bait. 

• Like 1

I believe Robo Worm uses open pour molds for their three color worms.  They invented a way to pour mechanically, but it is still soft, and looks and feels hand poured.  The guy who came up with the system is a mechanical genius.

I doubt they would give up their secret, but you could call them and ask.

The only other West Coast pourer I know of who did the same thing, but by hand, was John Viazanko, Zank Worms.  He no longer sells baits.  So I know it can be done, but John was a magician, so I also know it's hard to do with an open pour mold.

I do something like what Bassinfool suggested, except I pour the first two colors in the bottom half of my mold, close it, and inject the last color.  I typically pour at 330+- degrees, and don't have any problem with delamination, but I only pour for myself and a couple of buddies.  They never complain, because the baits are free for them.