Apdriver

Spin And Glo

Hey guys, trying to gear up for some King Salmon and wondered what size spin and glos are right sized for a 20 to 40 lb King. I've never used one to know what size to use. They come in 000,00,0,2,4,6,8,10,12,and14. Put this in wire baits since they spin

I can't tell you what sizes as I buy them off the shelf locally and know what I want just by looking at them.

To rig one tie an Octopus hook on with a Salmon egg loop knot. Where legal I tie a double hook rig with the first one a sliding hook and the back hook fixed.

I would most likely use a 5/0 hook or 6/0 hook for kings.

Slide on a bead then the Spin n glo. Usually I tie to my mainline with a swivel. 

I use a slider to attach my backbouncing weight(cannonball) or a diver in front of the swivel.

Size of weight or diver depends on the current flow and depth of water.

From there it all depends where and how you are fishing. Back bouncing or back trolling are usually the most effective methods to fish them from a boat. And casting out and waiting when shore fishing. From shore pyramid weights are popular but other styles that do not allow the weight to slide downcurrent easily also work well.

If bait is legal open the egg loop and place a piece of cured skein eggs in the loop.

Where are you going to be fishing?

My biggest king is a measly 65# but friends of mine have caught them up to 94#.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Thanks Chris. I thought you might know how to fish these. This will be my first time to King fish and will be headed to Ekwok to fish the Nushagak. This will be unguided so I'm trying to learn all I can about it. There is a lot of information out there and trying to digest and get the right gear. Once there, as you know, there's no Basspro. I've ordered some jet divers in the 20 and 40 and hope these will be OK for the water conditions over there. What size weights for say a three way bottom rig and for bottom bouncing while back trolling would you recommend? I think it's single hook over there.

Apdriver,

Are you sure you want to try and learn everthing on one of your trip days?

That's a long way to go to fish a new technique without a guide, at least for the first day.

I'm moving up to the CA Delta, and I'm going to hire a local guide to take me around in my own boat, to show me the ropes.  And I've been fishing a long time, but a new place is a new place.

Not meant as a criticism, just a friend who doesn't want to see you waste too much of your precious time learning, instead of fishing and catching.

Point well taken, Mark. The outfitter is going to "show us around" so to speak but then we will be on our own. I actually prefer it this way for several reasons. The most important being, at that time of year there's is only 4 hours of complete darkness and I can fish as long as I want. That's usually way longer than my guide would care to.

I fish spin-glo's for salmon and i have never seen much of difference in size. Like Kasil said, i just pick them off the shelf based on color (pinks, oranges, silvers, sometimes black, greens, etc. i would not rig them on wire, sometimes it gives the fish more leverage. Where i fish we have to use barbless hooks, so that little bit of leverage will just slip them right off and out. I also recommend an octopus hook for them. As for other lures, i fish big spinners in the early to late summer, along with wobblers around this time. Any time of the year though i would highly recommend a kwik fish/Flat Fish in orange, silver blue, silver shartruese. On those there are many sizes to fish but the ones i fish are the U20's, K14's, and M2's. Just pick the lure colors that look "right". You'll find the right colors and catch plenty of fish, especially in Alaska! Good luck! :)  

Every river is a bit different. I have personally never fished the Nushagak.

Getting guided one day is a sure way to gain a ton of knowledge that really really helps.

Especially for the inexperienced. Kings are like Muskies in that they sometimes call them the fish of a thousand casts.

One report showed guided anglers caught one king in the Kenai every 15.5 hours for guided anglers versus 41.9 hours for unguided anglers.

I know that is a different river but it shows how king fishing can be.

I would join up on the Alaska outdoor forums and do some searching there. Lots of guys there who have fished the Nushagak.

Thanks Chris. I'll sure give that a try. I haven't fished it either but the outfitter uses mag warts, flatfish, eggs on three ways, and spinners. I made up a bunch if spinners in 1/2 and 9/16 in some nice colors. Just trying to gear up for a few other techniques. Looking forward to seeing your state once again.

If you wrap them, also think aout using canned tuna in oil or water. Thats my go-to wrap. dont hesitate though to try other things, bacon, ham, salmon. :D  But seriously add the canned tuna to your list. its a killer sometimes. :)

P.S. alot of the time the reason the fish hit a wraped lure is because of scent, but at the same time sometimes they will hit what the havent seen before

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be sure and go by BnJ's, Chris. Hope you have a good summer fishing season......

I sure will thanks Apdriver. If your ever in the area look me up.

Hooligan(smelt) fishing has been real good. We also did good on the Morels. Picked up a couple of gallons on Saturday in just a few hours.

Hope to get out a do some more fishing soon. Try out some more of my homemade trout spinners.