Dink Mendez

Cnc Help!

I've always wanted to make my own flat side crankbaits.  I cut mine on a jewelers scroll now, but I saved up and would like to purchase a cnc machine. I cut out about thirty cranks a year. I been looking into purchasing a  Rockler CNC Pirana machine. Any member have a cnc machine to cut out cranks. Also would like to cut out my circuit board lips also. I normally us 3/8 , 1/2 , and some times 3/4 thickness to make the flat cranks. Any information or person I can talk to before I purchase the machine would be great. Thanks

It would be fun to have a CNC machine, especially if you have other projects lined up that will make use of the technology. But if all you are using it for is to cut out 30 flat bodies a year then you should Google copy carver. There are a ton of simple projects that copy a template, cutting with a router in a 2D plane, which is all you need. If I was cutting 30 flats a day, this is how I would do it.

Dave

• Like 1

CNC machining is an addictive hobby in and of itself.  You can spend days tweaking adjusting and building.  Whole weeks can disappear.  I've slept on a cot in my shop babysitting machines while they run 30 hour jobs.  You may want to think about that before you buy your first machine.  

I would note that Rockler does not make CNC machines (or anything that I am aware of).  That unit is made by (or maybe imported by) Next Wave Automation.  It looks like it might be a decent unit for the price, but I would suggest reading through the reviews (minimal) and especially the questions and answers (more info).  Also, notice that there are more answers people have to each question than just the "best answer" displayed.  Read all the answers.  Not just the "best answer."  

There is something in the description that I wonder about.  Especially for the price.

"Run a program directly from a usb flash drive at the Pendant or connect directly to a pc"

If its a got a full control system that can run code directly from a thumb drive without connecting a computer that would be pretty impressive.  One Q&A seems to back that up, but it doesn't actually say it runs standard machine G-code.  I think I would want to learn more.  

From what I read in just a few minutes users have mixed feelings about their machines from great awe to slightly more than modest disappointment.  It seems likely that you will have to spend some time tweaking and adjusting that machine.  I know from experience that can be quit frustrating to do while also learning to do CNC machining from art to part.  I started with another great machine for the price myself.  A Taig desktop mill.  The first couple years I owned it I spent as much time tweaking it as I did running it.  I think for the first year I ran three jobs for every one that came out right.  Much of that was my own lack of knowledge.  I know that machine inside and out now. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a job on it that I know are within its capabilities, but I have also done a lot to it.  That little machine paid for most of my other machines.  I am in the process of restructuring it again to put in my front office for the occasional small job.

I would check out the Next Wave Shark forum and see how other users are getting along.  I think I would also see if there is anything said about the Piranha on CNC Zone.  

If you do get it, the first job you should do on it is a vacuum shoe to suck up chips as you make them.  Maybe the 2nd could be your own Thein separator so your vacuum doesn't instantly plug up with chips.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

It would be fun to have a CNC machine, especially if you have other projects lined up that will make use of the technology. But if all you are using it for is to cut out 30 flat bodies a year then you should Google copy carver. There are a ton of simple projects that copy a template, cutting with a router in a 2D plane, which is all you need. If I was cutting 30 flats a day, this is how I would do it.

Dave

Thanks I will research the copy carver; I seen them before- maybe it would be well suited for what I'm wanting to do. Also I would be able to duplicate some round bait like bb1 and old poes :yay:

CNC machining is an addictive hobby in and of itself.  You can spend days tweaking adjusting and building.  Whole weeks can disappear.  I've slept on a cot in my shop babysitting machines while they run 30 hour jobs.  You may want to think about that before you buy your first machine.  

I would note that Rockler does not make CNC machines (or anything that I am aware of).  That unit is made by (or maybe imported by) Next Wave Automation.  It looks like it might be a decent unit for the price, but I would suggest reading through the reviews (minimal) and especially the questions and answers (more info).  Also, notice that there are more answers people have to each question than just the "best answer" displayed.  Read all the answers.  Not just the "best answer."  

There is something in the description that I wonder about.  Especially for the price.

"Run a program directly from a usb flash drive at the Pendant or connect directly to a pc"

If its a got a full control system that can run code directly from a thumb drive without connecting a computer that would be pretty impressive.  One Q&A seems to back that up, but it doesn't actually say it runs standard machine G-code.  I think I would want to learn more.  

From what I read in just a few minutes users have mixed feelings about their machines from great awe to slightly more than modest disappointment.  It seems likely that you will have to spend some time tweaking and adjusting that machine.  I know from experience that can be quit frustrating to do while also learning to do CNC machining from art to part.  I started with another great machine for the price myself.  A Taig desktop mill.  The first couple years I owned it I spent as much time tweaking it as I did running it.  I think for the first year I ran three jobs for every one that came out right.  Much of that was my own lack of knowledge.  I know that machine inside and out now. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a job on it that I know are within its capabilities, but I have also done a lot to it.  That little machine paid for most of my other machines.  I am in the process of restructuring it again to put in my front office for the occasional small job.

I would check out the Next Wave Shark forum and see how other users are getting along.  I think I would also see if there is anything said about the Piranha on CNC Zone.  

If you do get it, the first job you should do on it is a vacuum shoe to suck up chips as you make them.  Maybe the 2nd could be your own Thein separator so your vacuum doesn't instantly plug up with chips.  

Bob, thanks for the inside. Your experience and knowledge has helped a great deal. I appreciate your input and other Tackleunderground members. I'm glad I posted the question. I still have some researching to do. Thanks- I need to learn more before purchasing the unit. Thanks  :yeah:

Bass100 - that looks good, but couldn't see any detail, also could not find any videos on the site. I would want to see more before investing.

Dink - Choose the right design and yes, you will be able to at least cut two halves of a double curvature bait. It would be possible to make a machine were the master and stock rotate on a spindle to give you a 3D copy. But if you go that far, you might as well build a full duplicator machine.

Even though I will be building a duplicator, I will also be building a copy carver, for the same applications that you have; flat sided baits and lips. 3D bodies will go on the duplicator.

One thing the 3D duplicator cannot do, is fine detail, like gill plates, fins, eyes and the like. The work could then be transferred to the copy carver and the detail added. But, if I had a master with that level of detail, I would go straight into molding rather than cutting.

Dave

One thing the 3D duplicator cannot do, is fine detail, like gill plates, fins, eyes and the like. The work could then be transferred to the copy carver and the detail added. But, if I had a master with that level of detail, I would go straight into molding rather than cutting.

Dave

Ever seen a pantograph router? Ever consider a duplicating machine with a roller ball and a router instead of a disc and a saw?

Bob - Yes, I have designed a pantograph carver. I never built it, as it got very complex, as often happens with my designs.

My first attempts with duplicators were with routers, but when I moved to a saw cutter, there was a vast improvement.

Not sure what you mean by roller ball and router, could you explain please. I think you mean a small diameter roller ball stylus and same diameter router mill, thus producing detail, were the saw cutter fails.

DAve

If you want to do only 30 cranks and want to do CNC I suggest you find someone with a shopbot and have them do it for you. Cheaper faster no learning curve for you and you can have your blanks in a week not 6 to 8 months to figure out everything that's involved. I have a shopbot ( unfortunately disassembled right now due to lack of space to set it up) it took me along time to get it up and running to where I could produce parts in my old business. Before I purchased the shopbot I made a copy carver, took me about a week to build it and for 30 cranks it would work to quickly cut out rough blanks

Good luck