reelguitars

2 Questions About Balsa Bait

Hey guys, I've made a nice flat sided balsa bait out of medium density 3/8" balsa.  I have 3/16" roundover router bit mounted in a perfectly flush table to round over the edges.  Two things are happening here...1)even though I have the bit perfectly set to hit the center of the bait, when I flip it over to rout the other side, the second edge seems to cut a little deeper so when you look down the bait from the nose to the tail, one side looks a little higher than the other...I'm thinking that the bearing is able to move closer to the bait several thousanths of an inch, thus causing the problem.  2) the baits come out perfectly smooth except in a couple of places...where it looks almost like the grain of the bait is being aggravated by the router, thus causing these imperfections.  Trying to sand out these problems only seems to make them worse...could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I have a great bait, I just want to put a great finish on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

I am not sure why this happens, but I have noticed it too. Possibly because there is less material on the second pass, allowing the cutter to dig in more. The second problem is, that because you have designed for the two radii to exactly meet, the slightest error is very visible.

I stopped trying to do this and went for a smaller radius and blended the two across with sand paper.

You could try shimming the lure up a tad, to introduce the gap between the radii. There will be more sand paper work, as there will be an edge on the flat side that will need sanding out. I never thought of this when I had the problem!

Dave

• Like 2

Likely compressing the bait during the first pass.  Balsa is so soft doesn't take much pressure to distort it.  Super glue the path of the bearing and see if that helps.

The grain being raised is multiple issues likely. Dull bits, cutter speed, feed rate, etc.. and  end grain. 

Guys...thank you all for your quick responses.  I was actually having a little better luck using a 1/8" roundover bit but my son (who fishes on the Dobbins pro staff) believes there is a way to actually do this with a 3/16" bit with very little sanding.  In this case, I don't agree with him.  I'm going back to what I was doing before.  I don't mind a little sanding...after all...this is a handmade crankbait.  I will post some pics of this finished product.  Thanks again for your responses.  David...

bullnose router bit and they even have some that are like a pool cue tip shaper I used to have with metal shavings instead of the cutting bits. those should be safer.. edit those appear to be diamond cutters for countertops. they are a little pricy as well. cheapest one I see is 65$

Edited by riverotter