clemmy

Through Wiring Azek/pvc Experience?

Normally, I'm a wood bait guy, I just like the traditional aspect of it. However, i'm working on a design where I think Azek trimboard/PVC might be ideal. It will need through wiring though, and that's my question. There's a bit more movement in a stainless wire (I plan to use .051), than with an epoxied screw eye. Has anyone been through wiring their PVC baits, and if so, had any issues with wear?

Thanks,

Craig

Not an answer to your question but a question for you. Is it the design of your bait that requires through wire just asking out of curiosity because the few I've made out of pvc were capable of holding screw eyes without any problem.

I've glued two pieces of PVC together, with the primer and PVC pipe glue, and they seemed strong.  I've also used crazy glue, and it worked, too.

I think most of the epoxies will work, and will be stronger than the actual PVC.  You could probably make a PVC sandwich, with epoxy and the wire in the middle, and it would give you an epoxy layer in the middle, if it doesn't add too much weight.  I would just be sure the two mating faces were roughed up enough for the epoxy to get a good grip.  Maybe even drill some shallow keys into the faces.

I seem to remember someone here was able to make channels for through wires by heating the wire, and then sandwiching it between the two lure halves.  The hot wire melted into the PVC.  At the least, it should give a good guide line for making a channel in the two halves that could be enlarged with a dremel.

I think whether or not you need a through wire depends on the setup you're fishing.

I have made spybaits that are only 3/8" thick and 4" long, and used sst .072 screweyes, and they were strong enough to catch a 7lb. largemouth on 12lb fluoro and a med. heavy cranking rod.  

I didn't have to horse that fish, and I wouldn't try to fish them on anything heavier, or with the drag buttoned down.  

I have used the method of heating the wire and placing it along traced lines on the inside of the bait. Then I glued the two halves up with 5 minute epoxy and it worked great for me. Caught a couple 6-10 lb pike on that lure, and with even smaller wire than what you are thinking of using, I had no concerns with strength. Just glue the two halves together with hot glue in a couple spots, shape the bait, and then they can be easily separated with a utility knife to place the wire and glue them together with pvc glue or epoxy.

• Like 1

when using pvc and employing wire through construction, simply take your wire and heat it with a torch, once hot it will literally melt into place. Pop both halves of the bait together while it is hot and it will form a channel on both sides. Once you are ready to make it permanent, simply devcon it together.

• Like 1

PVC jointed bait with through wire.

1.  form wire

2.  heat wire and place in position

3.  immediately slap the two halves together and hold until wire cools

the two halves will remain together until you separate them. utility knife works good.

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

post-14416-0-24495100-1433381052_thumb.jpg

post-14416-0-13306300-1433381096_thumb.jpg

post-14416-0-00760800-1433381118_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah I have to give credit to JRHopkins. I tried this method after purchasing his DVD a while back. Really good resource for anyone starting out making pvc swimbaits. Like anything with bait making you can follow other builders advice and then adapt your approach based on what works for you and the materials you have on hand.

• Like 2