Thembonez

Hand Pour Mold Material

It is clear polyester resin. I have made 100's of moldes with the stuff, although now I prefer using the normal poliester resin loaded with talk -- It is harder, warps less and is cheaper.

I tis possible to make injection molds with the stuff. The problem you run into is that it shrinks. So if you pour on side, wait for it to harden, then pour the other side your two halves won't match. To solve this problem, I first make the injection mold with another material, Plaster or Bondo, then I copy the mold with RTV silicon. When I pour the poliester, wait for it to harden just enough to remove the two halves from their negatives, I lubricate the faces with Vaseline and clamp together so they shrink together. This way you can make dozens of copies.

I used some of the Solarez dual cure resin to make a mold of a soft bait that is no longer manufactured.  It had lots of ribs (not as thin as the Missile Baits), plus claws that flapped, and antennas.

I glued the soft baits down by their flat belly to a piece of Plexiglass, made a perimeter around them as a form, and poured in the resin, a little at a time, so I could UV cure each layer.  In hindsight, I'm pretty sure I could have poured the whole thing and it would have cured, but I wanted to be sure the ribs filled in without bubbles, so I want slow.

The mold cured out fine, it was flat when I pried it off the Plexi (remind me to use some release on the face of the Plexi next time).

I drilled some vent holes down to the tips of the claws that were completely encased in the resin, so they would fill.

I began by hand poring them, and that worked, but I wanted to inject them, because some of the claws didn't fill every time.

I screwed a piece of the same Plexi onto the top of the mold, drilled injection fill holes for each bait, added some steel nuts as sprue extensions over the holes so there would be some plastic to be sucked back in as it cooled, and injected.  

It works.  I just have to be sure to spray the cavities with PAM before each pour, so I can get the baits out without tearing.