Offshore G

What Air Compressor Is Best?

Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a mini air compressor and the link below is what I have found in South Africa. Not many options available. What do you think of this Aircraft mini compressor?

https://www.makro.co.za/diy/air-craft-mini-compressor-air-brush-ki-225236EA

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Garreth

I've owned several compressors, from an inexpensive Chinese "30psi" model, to a stronger Badger airbrush unit, to compressors designed for air power tools.  My take is this:  compressors tend to be pretty loud, whatever the model.  if you work inside where noise is an issue, a relatively quiet dedicated airbrush compressor will be less disruptive to your household.  If you work in a garage or where noise is not an issue, a tool compressor is usually the better choice.

Small airbrush compressors are usually advertised to deliver X psi but this is max psi, not the sustained psi at which you will be shooting most of your paint.  PSI drops off from max to sustained a heart beat after you activate your airbrush.  Sustained psi is typically 15 psi less than max psi on small airbrush compressors.  I want an airbrush compressor that has a max psi of at least 45 psi so that the sustained psi will be at least 30 psi.  I don't use 30 psi all the time but when I want it, I need it.

The most popular alternative for situations where noise is not a big factor is to use a tool compressor.  For the pressure they supply, they are more cost effective than an airbrush compressor.  Specifically, an oil-less tool compressor with a storage tank holding at least 2 but ideally 5 or more gallons of air.  The bigger the tank, the less often the compressor will kick on.  Add a pressure gauge on which you can dial up the desired pressure and a moisture trap (you can buy a combo unit that does both) and you're set.  If it's an oiled compressor, you'll need an oil trap too.  Airbrushes companies usually state that the brush is designed to operate in the 10-45 psi range, so a pressure gauge/regulator in that neighborhood is ideal.

I couldn't tell from your link at what max pressure the compressor operates, so would be leery of it.  The Chinese manufacturer a lot of these units and they, along with the airbrush supplied, are truly the low end products in the market.

Hope this helps.  

Edited by BobP
  • Like 3

Thanks BobP,

I have taken notes and will see what else I can find. I will be working in my "office" at home so have a few things to consider. I found a 24L (5Galon) unit, here is the link. When I am home from Offshore Mozambique I will go and have a look at the hardware store and get the finer details of these units. 

https://www.makro.co.za/diy/ryobi-1100w-24l-compressor-200250EA

Maybe I should find something overseas and ship it to South Africa, maybe spend a bit more money and only spend it once instead of replacing cheaper garbage every 1 years or less.......

Thanks again for the info, it helped a lot! 

An oil lubricated compressor may last a lifetime if its a decent brand, the oil is changed once in a while, condensation is drained regularly (daily if in use), air filter is cleaned, and any other maintenance done.  Some may need to be installed properly.  Portables may just need a clean work space to use them.  I have heard some painters say that you must have a "good" system to guarantee dry and clean air.  Filters, moisture traps, and replaceable inline desiccant filters are what most of us can afford.  For production shops they use condensers that cost as much or more than the compressor to remove all moisture and provide dry air.  

Some painters claim that they prefer an oilless compressor because NO oil is there to get into your airlines.  From my experience an oilless compressor might last a lifetime for a home user who builds a cabinet once a year, airs up a tire once in a while, and inflates some pool toys at the start of summer, but even good names can be worn out in just a couple years of constant use.  

I've got a oil lubricated Cambell Hausfeld roll around that is over 20 years old.  When I built my shop I used it as my shop air compressor plumbed into my air pipes for a few years.  The only reason I bought a bigger shop compressor is because I wanted to be able to use air grinders and air sanders without listening to the compressor run constantly.  That turned out to be a trade.  The Kobalt (Lowes store brand) I put in its place doesn't have to run as often, but its a lot louder. LOL.  

Several years ago I bought a no name oil-less at an autoparts store.  It was cheap.  I think the sale price was about $30.  It works, but I am amazed at how long it takes to pressurize.  My thought was to put it in my service truck for those times when I need to run a brad nailer to fix something rather than carry my bigger roll around compressor.  I actually do use it for that once or twice a year, but if I have any real work to do I get one of my bigger compressors.  Real means drive more than 20 brads, or air up a real truck tire.  LOL.  My 12V portable (not a cheap one) will air up the tires on my 4x4 from 12 psi for sand running to 55 PSI for road running almost as fast.  

Recently I bought another oilless compressor.  It looks the same except for the paint to many others on the market.  Its a Porter Cable.  It does claim (actually produces) higher max pressure than many of its clones.  I use it as the first stage of my high pressure compressor.  (4500 PSI on a Shoebox Freedom 8 for charging SCBA bottles for my air guns.)   Its kind of in between and would make a better job site compressor than my noname, but its been setup as a dedicated single purpose compressor.  I use its a few times a month.  Maybe a couple times a week when I am shooting a lot.  

I personally have not worn out any of my oilless compressors, but I don't use any of them for continuous duty.  My Dad had a Sears Oiless we used to build the grocery store back in 1970/71.  We wore it out.  It was his shop compressor for a few years as well as his construction site compressor.  We built engines, sanded, ground, and built buildings with it.  I think it lasted about ten years.  When I worked at Tool and Supply I repaired a few compressors.  (I was the guy who set them up as a warranty repair center.)  Home owners might bring in a compressor with a problem, but it was almost always damage from being dropped, hit by a car, etc.  Once in a great while it was an actual factory defect.  Contractors would bring in a compressor and if it was an oilless it was almost always just plane worn out from continuous use building houses.  Amazingly they still usually lasted the life of the warranty.  If I saw an oil lubed compressor that was bad it was usually damaged from something, or it had been knocked over and run that way.  I never saw one worn out internally that was run properly.  Sure, I saw a blown reed valve on some old ones once in a while, but that's a pretty simple repair.  Even o-ring head gaskets usually only failed from opening it up to work on it.  

I guess my point is that there is a wide range of decisions to make when it comes to getting something that gives you your personal best bang for your buck.  An isolation mounted, oil lubricated, top name brand, shop compressor that is properly maintained might live longer than you will.  An inexpensive store brand might.  A Develbiss or Rollaire probably will.  A Ingersol Rand and Quincy are more expensive and generally have had pretty much assureable lifetimes of use, but I have noticed some of them seem to have the same castings as other brands now.  I am pretty sure some of their castings are coming from the same Chinese factories as some of the middle price brands.  

In your case it might simply be deciding if what you CAN get locally will satisfy you for a while.  If you use it properly and it isn't specifically designed to fail it might.  Even my noname $30 compressor still works about the same as when I bought it 13+/- years ago.  It did have a regulator assembly failure a few years ago, but I just unscrewed it, assembled a new one from parts I had on hand, sealed the threads and screwed it back in.  When my wife wants to trim some shelves I usually bring her that one just because its light and easy to carry.  

I do have one question about that mini compressor you posted?  Is that price in dollars?  If not what does it exchange as?  If it is, then you can surely import any reasonable compressor you want.  

• Like 3

The mini compressor is in SA Rands so its around $163 at today's exchange rate. Not very cheap is it?

The larger 24L unit (2nd link I posted) which has max 8 Bar (116psi) works out to $108 or so. It also has a 2 year warranty. But 116 psi is a bit overkill....are you able to set these at your desired psi? If so then this may be a good option for me. The oiless ones they have in SA are massive 100L (26 Galons) or 150L units. I only need this for painting cranks so the smaller the better I think. 

My un painted lures are on their way from Predator Bass Baits to SA and now I need to find paint as well LOL. There are a few model painting shops around and I will check those out. I found a brand that they use for painting metal miniatures called Humbrol, they have acrylic and enamel, I see water based would be best though.

Thanks again for the great help!! I will let you know how it goes :)  

I have owned the mini compressor from the first link. It had a different brand name but looks identical. I bought it when I was living in an apartment in Malaysia and needed something that was very quiet. The price was about the same as you have quoted. The machine was very quiet and possible to airbrush with it successfully, but the pressure drops off very quickly and so was very limiting. I had to adapt all the time to what the pump was capable of, the lack of artistic freedom was frustrating.

I have also owned the compressor from the second link, again a different name, but basically the same machine. Although I bought it with airbrush work in mind, I never got around to opening up my super duper Iwata HP-C box and mainly used the compressor for blowing off my work bench. Extremely noisy, but good pressure, and the tank would probably be big enough to get a couple of paint jobs done before the motor kicks in to recharge.

Once you move away from the silent mini compressor, they are all going to be noisy. If noise is not an issue then great, buy the small, cheap tank and live with it. BUT, if you are trying to concentrate on creativity and the pneumatic drill kicks in half way through a difficult stencil operation, it is going to get old very quickly.

I am going to be starting to set up my new workshop in a week or two and so will be looking for a new compressor. My next machine will have the largest tank that I can get at a reasonable price. It may be oiled or oilless, it may be electric or petrol, all I know is that it will have a BIGASS tank.

It may seem overkill for airbrushing a few cranks, but nobody will know except us and we won't tell. Besides, compressors do have other uses that will come about with time. I am looking forward to getting some air-tools for a start. As for pressure, it is all adjustable and easy to dial in.

Dave

Hi guys,

I did some more research (contacted Aircraft in JHB) and found that the mini compressor is available with a 3L (0.79 galons) tank as well and it reaches a max 6 bar (87 psi), it is oiless and has a filter regulator and thermal protection (?). this model costs $230 in SA.

So having the extra tank would allow for better shooting with less drops in pressure right?

Noise shouldn't be an issue. However, I haven't used a compressor in my house before. The old lady may have heart failure if I'm making a noise while she is trying to do her accounting work next to me in the office. LOL 

On looking at the mini compressor in more detail after calling the agent and what they have available it is looking like a good option to me. They seem to have all the accessories available to use with this unit and good service support for SA etc. 

There's no 'overkill' about compressor max psi if the rig uses an air tank to store the pressure - the more the merrier.  I use a Porter Cable 135 psi model with a 6 gallon tank that sits under my garage workbench.  I can paint several lures before the air tank drops below its cut-on pressure and the motor kicks on again.  And that includes dialing up the pressure to 45 psi several times during the session to clean out my airbrush.  When it does kick on, it's a shock because these tool compressors are LOUD.  If you plan to paint inside the house, I wouldn't count on doing it while other household members are sleeping or doing anything else that requires quiet.  Unless you have a "fortress of solitude" that you can sound proof.  If so, it will just be annoying to them instead of startling the life out of them every time it kicks on.

If I worked inside, I'd be thinking smaller quieter airbrush compressor.  Even they can be rather loud and obnoxious.  If I were forced to paint inside, I'd probably forget compressors altogether and try a simple compressed air tank.  Not necessarily a cheaper alternative but it would be soundless.

mini compressor is available with a 3L (0.79 galons) tank as well and it reaches a max 6 bar (87 psi), it is oiless and has a filter regulator and thermal protection (?). this model costs $230 in SA.

Does this seem like a good choice then? (above quote)

Its a tough one because the larger 116 psi unit is less than half the price. I honestly only intend to use it to paint cranks. And anyway, I'll get the old lady a pair of ear muffs LOL 

I think both of you need to go to the hardware store, get them to fire up a compressor and then ask your lady what she thinks. Personally, I wouldn't dream of using a compressor with someone else in the house. What about neighbours; is your house detached or do you share an internal wall. If so, that is another can-o-worms.

The only way that this idea might work, is by building a sound proof box. Someone posted a thread on this idea a few months ago.

Dave

Jokes aside. I live in a free standing house and to be honest I would prefer it to be as quiet as possible. I do not have a workshop area, being in the house I have to respect the space as well. I'll be able to get away with  the noise of the mini compressor. 

You made your decision a few posts back and the correct decision too in my opinion. The temptation of the much cheaper and larger compressor did draw your attention towards the end, especially as it was more suited to the job, but common sense has prevailed and you will just have to ignore the rolling of the eyes of all the professional lure builders with their outside shed workshops.

The noise from the mini is little more than a 50Hz hum and will not be audible from the next room. If you can afford it, definitely go with the larger tank, it will make a difference.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

Another question about compressors and air brushes.

I am now thinking of upgrading to maybe Iwata? It is available in South Africa which is always better than importing as the agents can help directly if I ever need them to.

My question is......Do I need to upgrade my entire system, ie the airbrush and the compressor OR would it make a big difference if I just spend my money on a top of the line Iwata Eclipse? So, what makes more of a difference? A top quality airbrush or a compressor or should I not waste my time and get just both? 

Thanks in advance,

G

I use whats called a California Air Tools....It is by far one of the quietest ones I've ever heard and oiless and has leasted me 2 years so far and thousands of baits!....I love it and works in the same room as me without knocking me off my feet from the sound.

Been using the Iwata HP-CS since I started....started with what I felt was the best for what I'm doing without skimping.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-10020-10-0-Gallon/dp/B00889ZYOW/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1461155816&sr=8-17&keywords=california+air+tools

Edited by TheHammer
  • Like 3

Compressors need to put out enough air so you can shoot at 45 psi if you want to.

Other than that, the air brush is the really important component in your painting setup, not the compressor.

If noise isn't an issue, I'd suggest you get a tool compressor with at least a 3 gallon air tank.  That way, your air supply will be constant, and the compressor won't need to cycle as often.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, 

My compressor puts out around 87 psi, so I think I am happy to say that I just need to upgrade my airbrush. I'm going to try and actually import one as that $220 price seems a bit expensive for the Eclipse HP-CS?

Thanks again,

G

• Like 1

I just purchased a California Air. I haven't hooked up an airbrush to it yet. I bought a 1 HP. Twin aluminum tank model. I just finished installing a water trap. I have used to clean off some items and inflate a tire. I agree with Thehammer in the above post. It is by far the quietest compressor that I have owned. Have a hard time believing that it's a oil-less It will completely fill the tank from empty in approximately 2 minutes. It has a 4.6 gallon capacity. So far I am very happy with the purchase.

Don

• Like 2

No matter what brand name airbrush you use, quality of the brush is a must. Iwata is a very good brand. Some will argue that is the best. I use them myself. I just think quality is a way to get going. I myself waited until I had the money to get what I wanted. Quarry in the find box at the top of this page and Google about the types of brushes out there. Pay attention to needle, cup size of the brush as you do your research. Pick what's right for what you do.

You have decided on the compressor, so yes you will enjoy painting much more having a quality airbrush, not knowing what you are using now. The compress makes a difference also when you don't have to wait on the pressure or you mess up when you run out of a pressure that you are using.

My opinion is to get both. If money is a issue, then the brush is next. Then start saving again for the compressor. :)

Take Care,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1