jimhorn

Painting Spoons

I've tried several things on spoons and what works best for me is to simply paint the raw metal with acrylic airbrush paint and then dip or brush the spoon with moisture cured urethane as a topcoat.  I use epoxy on wood lures but on spoons, it will draw away from the sharp edges as it cures and leaves those areas with a very thin epoxy coating that is very prone to chipping and wear.  Dick Nite (http://www.dicknite.com/TU_Lander.htm) is a good source for the urethane and he also sells lacquer paint, which is probably the ultimate combo for spoon painting.  Dick Nite is a spoon manufacturer.  Another popular moisture cured urethane is KBS (http://www.jegs.com/i/KBS+Coatings/191/8404/10002/-1).

I just bought my first spoon blanks and the options I am looking at are 

melt on powder paints

or

self etching primer and airbrush acrylics  and rattle can clear coat.

Likely  I am trying the self etching primer since it should be available locally vs ordering in

I paint all my trolling spoons with createx airbursh colors.  I heat set them and let them hang dry for at least a day and then dip them in AC1315.  I have been dipping them 2-3 times but am looking at seeing if just one coat will work with my next batch of spoons.  No issues so far and the 1315 gives them a nice shine that is solid after about 2-3 days. 

So far, it's a success. I painted 9 spoons. I painted 3 and dipped in GST. Painted 3 more, dipped those in GST and dipped batch 1 a second time. Painted 3 more, dipped those, dipped batch 1 for a third time and dipped batch 2 for a second time. Dips were done about 45 minutes apart. No issues as of now except I think I freaked out an old lady when I waved to her while wearing my respirator. She didn't wave back...

• Like 1

Ok, so I let the spoons sit for a while and they look great. GST doesn't seem to get rock hard but I'm fine with that. Only issue I have is getting the split rings on. When I installed the ring, it pulled up some of the paint and top coat. I tried using masking tape but the ring tore through it. Any tips?