clay94fishing

How To- Make A Jig Assist

Micro jigging for days-Clayton Nicholls

In this write up I will be running you through the ins and outs of making a dual assist rig for your micro jigs. This technique can be tweaked and altered for any of your micro jigging needs. The same principles apply but you can use different hook size or drop length etc. enough with the chatting and onto the basics. To spit out one of these heavy wearing hard hitting rigs you will need; some good quality hollow core Dacron, a pair of nail scissors, some light braid or Kevlar fly line, a bobbin, a small superglue or similar item, your selected hooks and of course the solid ring and split ring. For these assist hooks I have opted for 1/0 hooks, 6.4mm solid rings and 6h split rings, this terminal tackle should be more than ample for the drag my reels of use will pump out even after heavy use of the assist set up.

Grab some good quality hard wearing line for a fly bobbin, and a pair of nail scissors, I personally opt for running a little bit of suffix gore 832 6lb onto a standard spool for my bobbin. Suffix is an amazing line and this is just another use for it, the gore fibre especially helps and the ceramic tip on my bobbin so far has not cut through it. When selecting hooks for jigs of this size, they need to be fairly hard wearing but they don’t n my opinion have to be the top end silver coated million dollar hooks, just make sure they are strong, have a wide gape and most importantly are inline so they do not make the lure spin or twist in the water.

10012508_790628271044554_842734296424783

On to assembling the rig, Step one; Cut off a length of Dacron and remove the core by fraying the end and pinching the middle and slowly teasing it out.
Step two; Loop the Dacron through a solid ring, tuck the tags through the original loop and pull tight. The smallest amount of superglue will hold the wrap in place while the assist rig is under no pressure.

Step three; Poke the hook point into the middle of the Dacron, slide the Dacron over the hook up to the gape of the hook. When doing this step you will notice the Dacron is firm against the hook, do not push the hook, rather pull and ease the Dacron onto the hook. Once the Dacron is down to the gape ease the hook out and slide all the way through to the eyelet.
Step four; Cut the tag end of the Dacron shorter and fold back along the shank. Using a bobbin tie the tag end back up the shank and this will ensure the hook is always held in by the Dacron and the Dacron cannot fray. Once wrapped with the suffix run some superglue onto the hook to help protect the suffix from toothy species, get the superglue to just hold and form a sphere at the tip of the tube, hold the glue against the bindings and use just enough so it absorbs through into the bindings.

For more articles, trips and pics head over to
www.facebook.com/cqfishingandboating
www.facebook.com/FishFactorAus
https://instagram.com/clay94fishing
Fish light, get the bite
Clayton Nicholls

• Like 1