JRammit

Punch Bait

We are all bait builders.. Plenty of bass/crappie/musky fisherman... But do we have any bait makers?? Catfishers???

Due to flooding/closures of all my favorite bass/crappie holes, I'm limited to one spot this summer... This spot is best noted for quality catfish!

I've been using Danny Kings punch bait for several years with great success... But now that I'm building my own lures, I figure I should have a go at making my own bait..... Anybody here make the smelly stuff? Have a secret recipe?

I could Google or YouTube it, but I'd like to hear what input my TU friends have first

For channel cats I usually use chicken livers or Hog Wild sponge bait.  If I can catch them and keep them alive my favorite is live threadfin shad though.  Usually I'll fish two of them on snelled hooks or dropper loops above a bass casting  or other end of line sinker.  

For flathead cats I say live bait hands down.  Depends on what is legal where you are, but sunfish, tilapia, and small carp all make decent flathead bait.  I usually fish these on a short Carolina rig with a 9/0 or larger heavy J-hook, but plenty of cat guys are going with circle hooks these days as well.  The key to flats is not to set the hook on the first couple short runs.  Make sure they have it, and then hammer them hard on the hook set.  I fish with one guy who always sets the hook 2 or 3 times on a big cat.  

I know absolutely nothing about blue cat methods.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

I've never fished flats or blues... My spot is strictly channels.. No shad here either, if I get there before sunset I'll catch several small bluegill for cut bait, which out performs any other bait there... The bottom of this pond is MUCK, so I make bobbers out of dollar store glow sticks... I always carry the punch bait as a back up, or if I don't have time to catch bait

I know it's fermented cheese mixed with cotton or weed seed fibers to keep it on a treble... But that's about the extent of my knowledge on the bait

Here in Indonesia, they also have cat ponds. They are competition ponds, mostly fished by professionals. They run about 6 comps a day, each around 2 hours long. I haven't got around to fishing them yet, but been for a watch. As usual in Indonesia, they all use the same bait which they buy at the pond. I am not sure what it is, but looks like some liver concoction - patience, I am getting around to my point.

If I am going to enter a competition, I want an edge. What I am thinking is MSG (monosodium glutimate). This is the food additive that makes food taste better. It is frowned upon in the west, but they add it to everything here, like salt. The way it works is that it triggers the taste buds and so enhances flavor. If it works on cats, I could have a new day job :)

Dave

• Like 1

I use 2 to 3'' raw shrimps with great success but was told by a buddy to use wieners because they work much better. I haven't tried them yet so I can't confirm.

My rig is a 2-3 oz no roll sinker with a 4/0 circle or octopus hook.  When I fish out of my boat I punch some holes in a can of cat food and attach it to the anchor.

56.. My oldest son takes a trip to Lake Powell every year with a long time friend... They use hot dogs and catch everything from cats to stripers... They think its a magic bait, I think those fish are so active they would probably hit a cigarette butt.... But I don't tell him that

Dave, if u need a tester for your formula, your secret will b safe with me!!!

Began fishing for channels last year here in NM. Pay to fish cats will hit anything. In the rivers they seem to want natural stuff like liver, cut bait etc. Back in Wisconsin I used to get a lot of channels in the river with homemade Mepps spinners. But as many times as I've tried never had any luck with hardware here.

bill

Here's a concoction that I came up with that really works on channel cats.

You will need to use what amounts to a double boiler to cook all the ingredients in. I do this outside by using a propane fish fryer and setting a fairly large pot of water on the fryer. The water is then brought to a boil. You will need another pot, or any suitable metal container, that will fit over the pot your using to boil the water in.

While your waiting on the water to boil take some Ivory soap and run it through a cheese grater. Once the water starts boiling add the grated soap to the container setting on top of the boiling water. Now you can add some beef blood to the soap. (beef blood should be available at a slaughter house/ butcher shop that does custom butchering) Add the blood in small amounts as needed. You want the soap to turn to a liquid, but you don't want it soupy. At this time you can add a jar of Smelly Jelly crawfish scent in the paste form. This just gives it a little extra kick and is not 100% necessary. Once the soap has dissolved and everything is well mixed you will need to pour it out into something like a baking sheet to cool. You want the soap to cool and thicken to approximately 1/2' to 3/4" deep. Once the soap mixture is fully cooled just slice it into squares and your ready to fish.

I don't have any exact measurements for the ingredients. Once you start the cooking process it's fairly easy to figure out what you need.

Ben

Ben, thats greatness!!... I once read up on making congiled blood bait, but when I mentioned the steps necessary to the wife (use of the fridge) the plan was shot down in flames....

Scrubs, I've caught a few cats by accident with 4" Berkley gulp minnows... One was 12 lbs, which was an adventure in my 12' jon boat!... We danced in circles, it was the 1st fish of the morning, so once I got it on the stringer my boat wouldn't turn right for the rest of the day

That's one thing good about this stuff. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. We never tried storing it for any long period of time since we were using it as fast as I could make it. We were running trotlines one spring and were absolutely killing the channel cats. You should be able to store it in plastic baggies as long as you didn't try overloading the bag to the point that the soap started to get mashed up.

Even if it did "go bad" catfish love smelly stuff. :teef:

Ben

Hey guys I was reading some of your posts and laughed so hard I about fell out my chair. On a day off I called my wife and asked where the blender was and of course WHY came next. I told her I had three dozen dead minnows, chicken livers and other catfish loving items to blend up. Then the threats started, I will have you killed. I will divorce you then kill you and so on. They just don't get it but if you want to make her head explode grab her good blender and have a minnow bucket in your hands. 

• Haha 1