RayburnGuy

White Peacock Fluorocarbon Line

Hey guys,

Has anyone used the White Peacock fluorocarbon line? If you have what was your experience with it? Strength? Memory? Abrasion resistance? Limp or stiff? Durability?

It's supposed to be 30 to 50 percent smaller in diameter than other fluorocarbon lines of the same pound test.

thanks,

Ben

Ben, never heard of it.  Sounds like a brand from Sri Lanka or somewhere :D  I don't get revved up about claims of small diameter versus strength in fluoro or copoly lines because there's just too many ways to fudge on that equation.  Most lines have break strength that is considerably more than their advertised rating.  If you begin to use the true break strength in your advertising, your line diameter to strength looks better and better in comparison to other brands.  Maybe so, maybe not.

Hey Bob,

I was reading an article in either Bass Times or Bassmaster and the article said that Paul Elias swears by it. I know he does a good bit of deep cranking so that's why I was asking. Just last week I finally broke down and decided to give fluorocarbon lines a try so they're still relatively new to me.

The White Peacock is indeed imported. From Poland I believe. Guess I'll have to try some of it to see if it lives up to it's claims. Will try to remember to post results when I have them.

Ben

Now you can buy fluoro blended to be softer, or tougher, or co-extruded with nylon copolymer, or whatever quality you think is important to you.  I started out with BPS fluoro manufactured by Sunline Japan.  It was rather stiff, had considerable spool memory, and was noticeably heavier than regular nylon line.  But it had lots of sensitivity so I liked it.  I still buy BPS when it's on sale.  I also like Seguar and think Trilene is decent.  I use fluoro on 3/4 of my reels, baitcaster or spinning.  Not only because of its sensitivity and low visibility but also because it does not absorb water and does not weaken from UV exposure like nylon line does.  I can use it until the level on the spool begins to get too low for comfortable casting, or until it kinks from a backlash which can severely weaken it.  So it often lasts for a year or more, making it as cost efficient as nylon lines in the long run.  Line rating versus diameter is so fraught with confusion and misdirection by manufacturers that I don't even go there.

If Paul Elias uses fluoro to get crankbaits deeper with thinner line, you can do him one better using braid with a fluoro leader.  10 lb Suffix 832 is 2 lb nylon line diameter.