basspatrol

Help Please: I Can't Get My Plastisol To Clear Color

Hello all,

I've been using soft bearsbait plastisol and one I could not get the plastisol to go clear. 

I pour 6oz of BB plastisol into my pyrex cup, and microwave 4~5times for 20sec after some stirring.

When it starts to turn clear, I run 15 seconds

During that process the liquid from a smokey clearish (but not clear), starts yellowing lightly.

On a new batch i added 3 drops of heat stabilizer, but the results were the same.

On another new batch i added 1 drop of black.  Results are the same.

Could it be the plastisol from bearsbait? (microbubbles are another issue too lol, but for now the clear color is getting on my nerves. lol)

Thanks in advance

It's in the process of the jelly state to liquid state that it turns yellowish.  I am using the soft plastic mix (no hardener).  

I flip the plastisol mix about 3 turns, making sure the liquid is fully mixed.  Although at my first batches i didn't do that, so the plastisol was too mushy.  My pours comes out fine though, just the color and some micro bubbles seems the problem.  

Couple of thoughts:  You could turn the power down depending on the wattage of your micro there's a big difference in max power between 1,000 & 900 watt micros.  The other possibility to explain your problem is that you may have a bad batch of plastic, it happens every now and then regardless of mfg.  I'm assuming your micro is a rotating one not a stationary which makes a big difference as well.  To narrow down the issue you could heat up 6 oz in a small pot and see what happens, turns yellow probably the plastic if it doesn't probably the micro.

yea I know pain in the rear.

Invest in a hand held digital thermometer.  The temps. you heat the plastisol up to are critical.

Here's a link to some:

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=393284011

initially, as you heat in 1 minutes bursts, take it out, stir it to get the hotter plastic up to the surface, and check the temp.  You need to get the uncooked plastisol up to 350 degrees to get it to convert to bait-ready plastic, but anything much above that will scorch the plastic and turn it yellow.  That's why having a digital thermometer is critical.

Use shorter bursts as you approach 350.

After the initial heating to 350, I only reheat to 335, max., on reheats, so the plastic won't burn.

And heat stabilizer is important, but too much will yellow the plastic, too.  I use just a couple of drops per cup.

Just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger, everyone I've talked to about it has trouble with clear, and I only get one reheat before it starts to yellow.  The colorants we use disguises the yellowing, I guess.

But every plastic brand has it's own quirks. Some may yellow more than others, so you have to play around with some test batches until you get a system that works for your brand.

Couple of thoughts:  You could turn the power down depending on the wattage of your micro there's a big difference in max power between 1,000 & 900 watt micros.  The other possibility to explain your problem is that you may have a bad batch of plastic, it happens every now and then regardless of mfg.  I'm assuming your micro is a rotating one not a stationary which makes a big difference as well.  To narrow down the issue you could heat up 6 oz in a small pot and see what happens, turns yellow probably the plastic if it doesn't probably the micro.

yea I know pain in the rear.

First - you didn't mention what temp you're seeing the yellowing at - if you arent taking the plastic temp everytime you pull it our the micro you'll never be consistent or get consistent results (I know some you you guys can eye ball exactly 320.67 degrees..... but most of us cant - myself included LOL!!)  If you're doing opaque baits - isnt' too much of an issue... on clears/tranparents - it's imperative.  Buy a small digital thermometer... don't use a IR gun - that only tells you the temp of the surface - not the hot spot at the center of the cup.  Agian - check temp every time - it's a pain - but only way I've been able to do clear with my crappy micro.

I'd also raise the point of wattage of microwave - but look at it from an amount of plastisol you're cooking.... the smaller the batch your cooking the harder it is to control the heat.  You got to remember - the center of that 6oz cup gets alot hotter than the outside portion.... so while the outside might still look good/clear - the hot spot may start to burn and then when you stir it yellows the whole cup.

If it were me - I'd shake the crap out of your jug and make sure there is not one spec of anything on the bottom and it's mixed well... let it sit for a couple hours - give it a couple small shakes then try to make something like 16oz of product instead of 6oz.  I never make anything less than 8oz to start and I've noticed when I make bigger batches my color is more consistent and its most notable with the clear/smoke colors.... once I get down to reheating 4-5oz things start to yellow very slightly - my guess is it's just hard to keep the heat just right.  Once you start getting up to temp - I'd run shorter blasts on the micro and keep stiring like crazy.  Sometimes I'm just hitting the micro for no more than 5-10 seconds to get the temp back up form a 270 to 290/300 range on small amounts.

As for bad plastic - it's possible - but I'd bet 99% of the time the issue is on our end - not mixing enough, not cooking properly, etc etc.... take your time - check temps every time you heat it and you'll be on the right track.

J.

• Like 3

Put some thought in to this as I was working this morning.  

Try 8 oz instead of 6

Are you intending on adding flakes? < this determines the viscosity you will need to pour at if you want good flake disbursement. (too hot and it will fall if over .015)

This is also important if you're laminating

Although I don't agree with everything that has been posted so far I'll conclude with this:  Depending on the quantity of raw plastic you order and use.  For hypothetical: 5 gal stir it daily and not vigorously just consistently or you will aerate it, just enough to keep it at a consistency/mix of components as it was originally produced by the mfg in large volume. 

One possible reason why your plastic is showing a yellowing before it is out of the jell stage...the components are not fusing properly due to the issue of misproportion.

Personally I dislike clear almost as much as blue, it requires a great deal more attention to obtain and in essence if you master the ability to produce "true" clear you've accomplished something.

Wow, this is so cool.  I got so much information and input on things i have not done/ done improperly.

Yes I am using a rotating Microwave, and i was also measuring temperatures with an IR gun. I didn't think the temperature would matter if taken with an IR after you stir it.

I am not laminating it.  I usually make my baits during the weekend, I guess i'll stir the plastisol daily (that should solve my micro bubbles I hope).

I don't think it's a bad batch myself.  It's just me since I am still in a learning process.  Thanks guys.  I'll let you guys know how it goes :).

Edited by basspatrol

Ditch the thermometer, stir more often, and in shorter bursts.  No reason to try making something difficult that is so easy.

^^^This, never owned a thermometer.  know your plastic and you can make it do whatever you need or want it to, 6 oz in 900W for me is 1 min stir 30 secs stir..rest 20 seconds bump 20 seconds..pour.

I still tend to over think things from time to time making something more difficult than it needs to be.  

Heads up BassPatrol...info from JBuff is the word!  He is the master of soft plastic and the one who pours the BEST Swim bait made....FRINGE!!!  No can come close to his colors and techniques. 

I had the same problem with bubbles in the Bears plastic and using an 1000 watt MW. His suggestions cured it.  He has been there and done that and is only offering help he knows that  works.

He has even decided to give me a day of training making baits from my molds.  That is going to be awesome learning from the master.  We will be pouring next Tuesday and i'll even try to post some pics of the baits we make.

BassPatrol PM if you want me to ask him any Q's.

Standard Calhou's plastic will turn amber when heated. Been there ,done that years ago. I believe Bait Junky's has de-aired Calhoun's. If that doesn't work ,move up to MF and enjoy yourself.

They will all turn amber/yellow if heated too high for too long. An IR gun is a good quick indicator of the temp of your plastic taken before and after you stir.

Microwaves are not plastisol friendly. A presto pot w/ stirrer is- based upon my experience.

Edited by smallmouthaholic
  • Like 1

If I can do it, so can you.  My kids say, "So can a monkey", but they're my kids, so what do they know!  Hahaha

Seriously, there is a lot of really great information here, so take the time to read some of the threads for "how to pour soft plastics" you'll find using the search feature.

Edited by mark poulson

It may be your plastic i had some from a company that would yellow even after shooting the first molds would be ok and not reheat it would yellow the next shot also they sent me some new and it has been ok. sometimes i think the company don't get it mixed before they start pouring it up in smaller containers Cub48

also i forgot i have a infrared thermometer it reads ok until it get around 250f but after that it goes to pot get u a digital candy thermometer u can also use it to stir with while u wait for the reading to stablize. make sure it goes over 400f some stop reading at around 200f. also when the plastic gets to the clear jell stage start heating at 10 to 15 seconds Cub48

I presented this question not that long ago about a year ago well i had numerous bubbles they would suddenly appear when i would heat it up and and mix the plastisol.i purchased there plastisol last year when it was on sale when I purchased a 2 1/2 gallon when I would heat the plastisol in the microwave outside clear sunny day no humidity or any other environmental causes nothing to do with temp or any other outside factors played a part. It was a bad batch they sold me this open discussion went on for several pages and numerous members replied tried helping me to correct this problem that I had. I still have that batch they replaced and sent me another one for free. I made sure everyone I poured it into the Pyrex cup I shook and mixed it up for over 2 minutes so it couldn't be that I failed to mix it properly. I think you need to get in touch with bears so they can either refund your money or replace you with another batch. Good luck

I presented this question not that long ago about a year ago well i had numerous bubbles they would suddenly appear when i would heat it up and and mix the plastisol.i purchased there plastisol last year when it was on sale when I purchased a 2 1/2 gallon when I would heat the plastisol in the microwave outside clear sunny day no humidity or any other environmental causes nothing to do with temp or any other outside factors played a part. It was a bad batch they sold me this open discussion went on for several pages and numerous members replied tried helping me to correct this problem that I had. I still have that batch they replaced and sent me another one for free. I made sure everyone I poured it into the Pyrex cup I shook and mixed it up for over 2 minutes so it couldn't be that I failed to mix it properly. I think you need to get in touch with bears so they can either refund your money or replace you with another batch. Good luck