Venutian_Lures

New England Anglers?

This might be a stretch here but....is anyone else besides Curt from the New England area? If so...have you/do you ever fish the 'Chu (aka Wachusett Res) in MA? This body of water seems to be VERY hard to fish and after weeks I still haven't figured it out. There are 4lb+ smallies in there and I want them!

Everyone I've seen fishing there uses live bait, and I'm starting to think my artificial lures just aren't cutting it against live presentations. I'm one of those people that is "set in their ways" and I don't like to use live bait fish for many reasons (we can get into that later). 

So if anyone is from my area and is familiar with this body of water some help would be wonderful! Or you can tag along with me and watch me fail miserably, that too. 

Ive never been to NE, but use to live in Denver and fished city ponds on a regular, so im farmiliar with pressured waters!.... Would help to know what you are trying thats not working....... Ive found more times than not, smaller is better in these situations.... Example, Ive seen a crappie jig under a bobber outfish live minnows even for bass on occasion

I've tried just about everything. I've caught a few fish, but I can't seem to get a pattern going. Seems to be luck when I catch one. This place is also shore fishing only and its HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. It's a public water supply res, so no boating/wading is allowed.

I've caught one LMB there with a big white/pink/blue lake trout spoon, and a 1lber smallie on a chart/orange rooster tail in the same day, then I caught a 13" rainbow on a walleye type snell with red beads, gold blade and live worm jigged and dragged across the bottom a week later. The place is pretty weedless but has some spots that are super rocky where the big smallies hang out.

I've thrown crankbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, topwaters, bass jigs (which I had a huge brookie follow in lmao), rooster tails, spoons, texas rigged worms, wacky rigged worms, every color you can think of and then some.

You forgot the kitchen sink (ha ha!)

Most of the city ponds i fished were no boats as well, they were big but not huge...

Being shore bound on a big lake can be a dissadvantage, especially in a pressured area! The most obvious suggestion is to go to the spots out of reach of the lazy angler... You are catching fish, so imo youre doing well, i wouldnt expect to catch a limit in a place like that...

But heres a technique ive had good success with: tie on a #6 bait holder hook but dont cut off the tag end, instead tie a second hook same size about 4" down.. Using about a 6" soft strait tail worm (my favorite was Robo worm!) nose hook the bait with the 1st hook, then skin hook the back of the worm w the 2nd.... Hopefully you have a rod with light line (6-8lb), no weight!... Keep the rod tip low, line tight and just jiggle the tip, 5 or 6 tiny jerks at a time... Incredible swimming action! And a sink so slow its almost suspending!..

• Like 1

You forgot the kitchen sink (ha ha!)

Most of the city ponds i fished were no boats as well, they were big but not huge...

Being shore bound on a big lake can be a dissadvantage, especially in a pressured area! The most obvious suggestion is to go to the spots out of reach of the lazy angler... You are catching fish, so imo youre doing well, i wouldnt expect to catch a limit in a place like that...

But heres a technique ive had good success with: tie on a #6 bait holder hook but dont cut off the tag end, instead tie a second hook same size about 4" down.. Using about a 6" soft strait tail worm (my favorite was Robo worm!) nose hook the bait with the 1st hook, then skin hook the back of the worm w the 2nd.... Hopefully you have a rod with light line (6-8lb), no weight!... Keep the rod tip low, line tight and just jiggle the tip, 5 or 6 tiny jerks at a time... Incredible swimming action! And a sink so slow its almost suspending!..

I am about ready to throw my kitchen sink in there and see what happens LOL

I'll try that out next time I hit that place up and let you know how it goes. I try and go to spots I don't see people but the shoreline is fairly easy to walk and I've seen anglers just about everywhere.

Ayuh, I'm in New England.  Massachusetts here.  I've fished the heck out of the Wachusett Res, and I love that body of water.  4 lb smallies, keep going!  I got a few state pins out of there , my biggest smallie was at that bridge near the stone church, using a 3 inch perch pattern sinking hard bait.   I do occasionally thow a crawdad out there and you can't lose with those.

Some of the best spots for the smallies are on the south side of that bridge at the stone church crossroads, and along Rt 70 in W Boylston theres a few pulloffs near the pump house, before you get to the MA Wildlife office.  Along the road, the res is pretty shallow, good in early season but keep walking when it gets warm, and go down that abandoned service road  at the bend, and you'll have some amazing opportunities going around that inlet.  If you're feeling frisky and you can take a bit of a walk, hike your way around that inlet, and along that granite outcropping, and it gets deep and rocky there, I've got some beauties there.  Follow that slope around the edge and it opens into another inlet thats crazy rocky with some deep pockets.  Wonderful day out.  It'll be hard to leave that spot, I tell ya.

If you want some lakers or rainbows early season, get to that pump house near the rail trail entrance, off of 140.  When that pump house lets go theres some fast, clear cold water from the Quinnepoxet rolling into the res.  Fast water!  Great for a spoon or a small jig presentation.

I got more stories... but that'd get you started I reckon.