earthworm77

How Many Projects Do You Handle At One Time?

I currently have 4 relatively detailed projects going at once:

1- 6" herring multi jointed slow sink swimbait...ready for paint

2- 5.5" bluegill glide bait......ready for weighting

3- 6" shad glide bait......quick final pool test and then ready for paint

4- 9" bass wake bait

#2 has to be weighted today and then 1,2 and 3 will get paint. #4 is in the final stages of shaping. Why can't I do one at a time? Is it an addiction?

• Like 1

I am probably the worst collector of projects. I have about 60 baits laying around needing some sort of finishing up, a bunch of jigs needing skirts, a couple dozen flies needing tying. Everything is in varying stages of being complete, but sometimes they stay in that stage for a while because I just can't stop starting new things....

How many projects am I working on at one time....  

Um.  There is a reason I don't post many pictures of my shop.  LOL.  Inside or outside.  

I honestly don't know how many projects I am working on.  These are some of the things I am working on that I can think of right now:

Trying to work through the process for a prototype medical diagnostic device.  

Building actions for bolt action rifles.  

Machining a lower receiver for an AR-15.

Making several molds including some that are shapes you might think are not possible in aluminum molds.  

Designing my own high pressure PCP gun regulator.

Putting my aluminum boat back together.  

Making room for my new high speed mini milling machine in the back.  

Making room elsewhere for the equipment to be displaced by the new mini mill.  

Retrofitting another mill.  

Designing screen sets optimized for touch screen operation for all of my mills.  

Designing the P3 version of the LBS Shad.  

Building three new hybrid table top milling machines from the table top up.  

Designing a saltwater jig mold for general sale.  (not custom)

Working on a resin mold bait design with Vodkaman.  

Working on a new (maybe) style flipping hook application.  

Researching the patent process more thoroughly.  

Redoing the Curly Buzz Frog again.  (It catches fish pretty good, but I have ideas I think will make it better.)

Coordinating with a guy on his production process for realistic mini skate boards.

If I walked out in the shop and looked around I would probably see that many more projects I have shelved for the moment.  I've been doing some clean up and I have decided I need another set of shelves just for motors and pumps I've accumulated for projects.  

• Like 1

I try and do one at a time, and finish it as quickly as possible. That's why I love PVC, Createx, and Solarez.  I can make it in a day, and fish it the same day, if I want.

I usually do a couple of test swims before I paint and topcoat, so it's really a two day process.

If I am using AC1315, I'll wait a day for it to cure before I fish it.

Did I mention I'm impatient?

I thought i was the only one!.... It is an add-iction!... I have disciplined myself to "one project at a time", but the gray area is the caregory... Designing a new soft creature bait and finishing up a new style crank bait currently... And trying to decide between starting inline spinners or tying maribou jigs next???

Mark, your not the only one! I havent gotten good at the one at a time thing, as we speak im solarezing 3 baits, that i painted today. Im teaching myself patience with this hobby, slowly. ever so slowly. Thats about the only slow thing involved in lure making for me. If i have to wait for epoxy to cure, i start something else. Im impatient, and for me waiting for something is time wasted :D  You should see me out bass fishing, im learning finesse fishing right now :lolhuh:

I have to confess that I love fishing more than lure making, but just barely.

That's why my one day build and fish regime, using PVC, Createx, and Solarez, works so well for me.  I invariably think about a lure for a while, decide to build it, and, by that time, it's Thursday, so I need to hump it to have it ready to fish Saturday.

I build and test Thurs, paint and topcoat Friday, and fish Saturday.

Once I have a bait that works, if I am going to make more, unless they have to have 3D eyes, I will begin work earlier in the week, and use AC1315 as a top coat.  It is plenty strong with one coat, and it is lighter than Solarez.

I never use Solarez on the hard plastic lures I paint, because it is too heavy and thick.

So, if I decide to paint up a plastic lure, I make sure it's topcoated with the AC1315 by Thursday, so it had Friday to cure, before I try and drown it on Saturday.

I wish I could shelve projects like that, but sometimes I'll be working on a project diligently and the solution to a problem with another project will just come to me in a flash.  At the very least I have to stop what I am doing and think it through... often ordering parts to try something at that time so I don't forget.  

I don't think anything is ever truly shelved, unless I deem it a failure and relegate it to parts for future projects.  

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Hmmm

bench 2.jpg

I reached my limit after one  but this hobby is addictive. As long as there is wood in that blue box, I plan to keep going. Did I mention I like sardines, hormel chili with no beans  and an occasion salmon patty  isn't a bad thing either.  :lolhuh:

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

bench 2.jpg

post-26144-0-94314300-1434226868_thumb.jpg

Edited by littleriver
  • Like 1

Wow, do you like carving? I definatley have quite a few blanks but not that many! i dont feel so bad now for carving one then just tossing it in th pile. :D  I like the sardine can cantainer. it looks like it would be good for a drip can or a place to put a freshly sealed bait.  

Hmmm

attachicon.gifbench 2.jpg

I reached my limit after one  but this hobby is addictive. As long as there is wood in that blue box, I plan to keep going. Did I mention I like sardines, hormel chili with no beans  and an occasion salmon patty  isn't a bad thing either.  :lolhuh:

YUM on the lures and eats.

bill

:lolhuh:  :lolhuh:  :lolhuh:

:tipsy:

Technically I think your right  :?  but we may need to bring in an expert. :eek:  Anyone seen Ben? 

I'm not touching that question with a 10 foot pole. The top coat wars were bad enough, but arguing over whether chili has beans in it or not could leave more casualties than the Civil War.

And you'll never hear me claim to be on expert on anything seeing as how an "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. :D:P:D

buhdee, buhdee, buhdee................that's all folks,

Ben

• Like 1