luke1

Using Acrylic For Lips

Hello everyone,

I have been a member for a few weeks and I have a few questions.  I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased my balsa and acrylic sheet for the lips.  My lure is carved and I am ready to make the lip.  I do not have an electric saw so I am cutting it by hand.  I noticed tonight that it is very hard to get both sides symmetrical.  Are there any tips to get both sides symmetric?  I also did not construct a wire through body.  I cut holes in my body and placed dowel rods in the holes.  I am hopping it will hold the screw eyes securely.  This is a great hobby and I am just looking for some tips to achieve a great looking crank baits.

Luke1

Acrylic will crack really easy. Use polycarbate (a common name brand is Lexan). I trace the out line of a lip on the polycarbate sheet then use sharp tin snips to cut just outside the lines, then I use a sanding drum on my dremel to sand it down to inside the lines.

If you draw your lip shape on a piece of paper, cut it out, fold in half lengthwise, and trim so both halves are the same, you can use it as a template.  Trace that onto some blue painter's masking tape, remark the centerline from the fold onto the tape, and apply the tape to your lip stock.  Trim and sand to the tape.  

Once I'm ready to install the lip, I actually leave the part that isn't going to be embedded in the lure body on the lip, to use to align the lip before my epoxy sets.  Having a centerline makes keeping the lip centered in the bait much easier.

And everyone here is right.  Use Lexan, because acrylic is too brittle.

• Like 1

Luke 1 these fellows are right, acrylic will bust very easily. I would hate to see you do all that work only to have your bib crack and ruin your lure. Poly-carbonate or circuit board is the way to go for lips. As far as keeping it symmetrical, Mark's suggestion is a good one. Another way to make a symmetrical lip template is to use the paint program on your computer to draw 1/2 of a lip then using the select tool copy it, flip it and paste it to the other side of the original that you drew. This gives you a perfectly symmetrical lip with a true center line. If you are happy with the way it looks, use the select tool to copy and paste several times. Print it, cut one out glue it ( I use the stick school glue) to a piece of whatever lip stock you use cut it out and sand to the lines with a dremel drum sander. Here are a few examples of some lips that I drew using the paint program. It took me a little while to figure out how to do this but once you learn what the different buttons on the program do, it is pretty easy and you can name and save the file and use it again and again.  Hope this helps.

John

A link to how some of the other guys do things.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/19352-crankbait-lip-making/

I get my poly-carbonate here and have been very happy with their service. 

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

Bib Builder03a.png

post-14659-0-28887600-1435207369_thumb.png

Oops, forgot to say, I drew the graph first then saved it before printing and measuring the size of the squares so I would know how many squares the bib had to cover to make the size lip that I needed. 

Edited by JBlaze

Acrylic will work well enough in warm water. However, when it gets cold and runs into a rock it will crack. Polycarbonate is the way to go. Nathan has it right. 1/6 th inch. or .060 for the thickness. Circuit board will work but I personally don't like the looks of it.

Skeeter

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.  My computer crashed and I had no way to post.  I recently completed two balsa wood baits.  The one I used a colorado blade and the other was a topwater lure.  I went to Lowe's and purchased a piece of Lexan in a 8 x 10 Sheet.  I tried hand sawing it and it was extremely difficult to do.  I am thinking of purchasing a jig saw to do that.  Thanks for the responses.

Luke1

I just read this thread and it helped me soooooo much! this got me interested and so i checked and i have been using acrylic the whole time! woops. I will be getting some lexan soon! i was using Plaskolite...... :o that would explain the cracking on lips, along with anytime they hit a rock they would crack. Thanks guys! 

Jblaze, is the polycarbonate the site you suggested sells, the same as lexan? i just dont want to get more brittle stuff. also, i tried Eplastics for G10 sheets and their shipping is quite expensive, is this common for all online shops or is it just this site? Thanks! :)