Musky0503

Vice

You have to give some idea of price range. If I were you, I would also like a rotating vise. No need for a true rotary. I spent the money on one and should have saved the $40 and just got the rotating one. 

Asking what vise to buy is kind of like going onto a car forum and asking what is the best oil or tires lol. All a matter of opinion. I have a vise from a site called Saltwater edge. Does up to a 9/0 hook. Works well, but I liked my Anvil Apex just as much.

The one from saltwateredge was $179.

If you are only doing a few for yourself, you can score several for under $50.

Have a friend that uses a Thompson A vise for many years and loves it. Right around $50 if I remember right. Does rotate.

The Anvil Apex is around $100, this will accommodate the size hooks you will use. There are a lot of good vises out there and a lot are expensive but what gets me is with most of them you have to buy the extra jaw set to do large hooks. The one I use is a Griffin Odyssey Spider, it was $85 and I think it is awesome and I do single hooks up to 5/0 but that is what I use for bass fishing. I used an cheap AA vise for a long time, the same type of vise as the Thompson and I was fine with it, then I got my Griffin and it was a world of difference, if I never used a rotary vise before I would have said you don't need it, but after using one for a few years I can tell you I'll never go back to a regular AA vise if I can help it. The Anvil Apex is what is known as a center rotation vise, I'm not sure if you have to lock it in place to tie or if it works like a rotary vise as there is a difference. Vises that rotate will have to be unlocked to rotate and then locked to tie, a rotary vise you just pull the handle any time you want to move your work but you do have to set the tension when you first set it up. All of that said, I still think for the money and your needs, the Anvil Apex is the way to go.

There are a bunch of different vises but you are either going to get a rotary vise or non rotary vise. There are non rotary vises that will let you rotate the jig or lure you have in it but you have to unlock a lever or nut and then turn and lock it again to begin tying. A rotary vise you simply turn the lever or handle when ever you need to look at a different area of the lure. Your best bet is to do some detailed research like watch some videos on different vises and see what you think will be good for you. Unlike a  lot of us that started before there was anything like you tube and TU, we got what we could find and made it work and then when the technology developed that we could access a lot of places to get stuff, we already had an idea of what we needed. You are starting from scratch with little knowledge of what you want to do and I don't me any offense by this, but you are putting the cart before the horse with the order of your questions. I suggest trying to be more organized, it will help you make good baits with a shorter learning curve. Watch some videos of someone making the kind of lures you want to make, a lot of guys will give you a run down on what you need and what you can get away with not having, watch a few different ones and you'll get an idea. After you have a list then start asking around for stuff.

Thank you Smalljaw I realize your trying to help and appreciate it. I have been watching a lot of vids specifally Nicholas Gomez and his tying bucktails seris. Learning a lot as I go. I tend to pick things up quickly.  Have a few more questions for the group 1. What thread would you use to tie with? 2. Could I use my rod tying thread? 3. Could you recomend a Decent starting rotary vice that's reasonable on price? Thanks as always

Edited by Musky0503

I use a cheap, non-rotating vice to hold my chatterbaits and jigs, while I'm wiring on my skirts, and it holds the bitter hooks just fine.

I bought this vice fifteen years ago:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Cabelas-Master-Vise/741769.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480

Even though the one I have doesn't rotate, it has held up just fine for all this time.

Edited by mark poulson

For thread I'd go with Uni Thread big fly thread 400 denier, for smaller stuff you could get away with rod thread but not musky baits. I don't know what you budget is for a vise but the best you are going to do for a rotary vise that can take up to an 8/0 hook is the Renzetti Saltwater traveler 2200, it'll cost around $240 and that is a very good vise and it is the cheapest you'll find unless you go non-rotary.

Pete, the Peak only holds up to a 2/0, beyond that you run the risk of ruining the cam jaws, I contacted them when I was looking for a new vise. The saltwater jaws are limited to hook diamteters to .075 which is around a good heavy duty 6/0 jig hook, for Musky buck tails the OP is probably going to be at that and even high on a regular basis and that is why I didn't mention the Peak vise. I was going to buy the Peak anyway but it was $38 to $40 dollars extra for the saltwater jaws so I stuck with the Griffin. The Peak is a great vise but I think the Renzetti is better as it has a larger hook capacity which is crucial to the OPs needs.

I took my Dremel to the saltwater jaws, so now I can hold some pretty thick hooks. I would have to look up the diameter, but I know that I have tied Mustad 8/0 Siwash 3X hooks with the saltwater jaws - after a bit of grinding. On the other hand, the Renzetti might give you what you want WITHOUT any mods! I had the Peak and THEN I needed the larger hooks.

Pete

Musky0503, being you are using a treble hook you may be able to use the Peak with the saltwater jaws but the vise with the saltwater jaw set will run you $190, for $50 dollars more you get the Renzetti and if you decide to go with a 7/0 or 8/0 single hook, you know you can handle it. The advise Pete gave you is exactly how you can save a few bucks, and that is by getting something for less or already having something and modifying it to fit your needs, this is tough to do when starting from scratch. So now you know the vise you need, along with thread, so hurry up and put some stuff together for us to look at.

Unless you're going to be making a lot of feathered trebles, I'd get the cheapest vice to begin with, so you can see what you truly want/need in a vice, as opposed to buying the "best" on general principles, and finding out you really don't need a Rolls Royce to drive yourself to the liquor store.

• Like 1