Bubbadoyle

Paint Shelves

I got sick of digging through a plastic tub to find the color I wanted so I went to Home Depot today and built this. No more searching for the right color. Cost was about $15 and that included screws and hangers to attach to the wall. Will hold 100 bottles of paint. If I did it again I would spend the extra money for some premium 1x3's instead of the cheap ones. Spent about 10 minutes in Home Depot trying to find three decent ones. If anyone wants one dimensions for building one I can definitely help you with that otherwise it is pretty simple to figure out.

• Like 1

Sorry first time posting a pic and having troubles. Hope this works.

To post pictures click on the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right hand corner of the reply box. That will open another reply box with options to browse the photos on your computer and post them with your reply.

Ben

I second that on both counts. Beautiful Rack! I 'm making it today. I have been tired of the buckets. They get moved all over the house. Always in the way and a hassle to find anything. Your RACK has inspired me into action! Thank you BubbaDoyle for sharing ! I would have never come up with this on my own. I'm feeling better about my situation already and timber hasn't even been bought yet. 

Heres my buckets..... bye bye....... Now I have to come up with another use for them :lolhuh:  ......... Maybe strawberry picking 

paint bucket.jpg

Dave your absolutely right. We here in the west take ourselves way too serious. Seems everyday we become more and more a country of radicals hell bent on having our own way. Some have even taken up arms and are confronting authority directly. I know I have used that exact line more than once at a pool hall after a nice rack job and neither she nor I got the joke. But show me rack on the way and tell me a pool story and i get it. Go figure. 

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

paint bucket.jpg

post-26144-0-61417700-1434386629_thumb.jpg

Edited by littleriver

Littleriver - I have a similar cardboard box holding all my paints. Disturb the box and they all fall over and have to be stacked and balanced all over again. This is something that I need to address. As my house is not permanent, I will probably go for a more mobile solution, like a hinged case.

Every table in the pool hall is managed by a girl. She racks the balls and keeps the scores and fetches drinks. They look forward to my visits as they know that if they do a good job that I always treat them well (unlike some) and leave a fat tip. If I have no one to play, they will play me, often giving me a lesson in humility too as they hand me my ass in a sling :)

Pool is massive here in Bandung, with more than a thousand tables in the city and a strong nucleus of superstar standard players. There are no inflated egos and I have to do a lot of hand shaking before I get to the table. Pool halls are rarely visited by foreigners, so I am treated a bit like a celebrity. By western standards I am a very decent player, but a lot of these guys are in a totally different league. They often let me win, I am not happy about it, but what can you do. I know my place.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 2

IT's been more than a few years since I've been able to enjoy a game. I love the sport but since marriage and children anything that takes me away from the home is frowned on .....even fishing has suffered greatly. Sounds like a great place to be for anyone who enjoys shooting pool. What is the preferred pool game? Is there ever any side betting going on? I wouldn't know what to do having someone rack the balls for me. Sounds luxerous. That would never work here. There would be endless complaints of cheating. Our need to control everything would never allow for it but it sounds great to me. 

I like the dowel rod solution to keep everything on the shelves!... I planed on building several small shelves in my new area since i have no room for big ones... Ill have to steal this idea!

Nice to see a few fellow billiard enthusiasts here!... There are few things i enjoy as much as fishing, but pool is one of them!

Happy to hear you guys like the shelf. I've learned a lot from this forum and am happy to pass one of my ideas along to the rest of you. Just wish I could have got the picture to upload the right way. It flipped it upside down the first time so I edited the picture to be upside down and posted it again only to find out it is still upside down.

paint shelf.jpg

Thank you Bubbadoyle!

Got it done today. i will mount it tomorrow. Mine came in at $14.07 but I had the screws. Your not kidding about finding a decent board in those cheap fur strips, I did  the best I could with the pile I had. Kids became very impatient as I rummaged through the pile.  No wonder they are so cheap there wasnt  true perfect straight board among the bunch. But what should I expect for a $2  8ft board. I bought  four boards to make a  3 feet by 3 feet square. I made the bottom shelf a bit taller for the bigger bottles I occasionally buy. 

Thanks again . Great idea!

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

paint shelf.jpg

post-26144-0-17815300-1434414199_thumb.jpg

Edited by littleriver

Littleriver and JR - the game is 9-ball on the full size tables. The coin tables are 15-ball because the game lasts a lot longer for your coin. In the bars it is 8-ball, but you never see 8-ball in the pool halls. As for gambling, you bet it goes on. Most of these players are small time professionals. Having been stung a few times, I steer clear.

Dave

I favor 9 ball myself, but end up playing more 8 ball cause that's what everyone else seems to favor here... I havnt played 15 ball since i owned my own table 13 years ago!

Just last week when my out of town friend was here we entered a friendly $5 8 ball tourney at a local pool hall... Ended on a fishy note.... He and i advanced to face each other, winner would then play for the pot... Problem was, winner had to play the wife, the brother and then the husband who organized the tourney to win.... My friend advanced and lost to the brother.... Didn't seem on the up n up, but in the long run we were each only out 5 bucks after about 5 hours of fun

"Nice rack" - I can never resist when a girl sets up the balls in the pool hall. Fortunately they are never offended, I would be arrested in the west! You can actually have a joke here.

Dave

Dave,

Years ago, when cellphones first became common, I was talking to a pool contractor on a job, and I told him his rack was sagging, meaning his truck's rack.

Well, he was on his cellphone at the time with his wife, and the next thing I hear is him say, "Yes, Mary, Mark just said your rack is sagging."  We had a good laugh about that for years, every time our paths crossed!  And when I finally met his wife, she remembered, and ribbed me pretty good about, too.

• Like 1