Gettin Bit

Help Getting Started

I can on longer get three of my favorite colored baits so I decided to start poring my own baits. That is where I need you experts.What would you recommend for a 3”to 3 ½” slug type bait and a 5” thin senko injection molds. I also need your help with what colors I need. The senko is green pumpkin with fuchsia micro color # 350. Thank you for your help

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

161.jpg

post-18460-0-11960800-1434498754_thumb.jpg

Man i use to love the Slug-o!!! From what ive seen on here you can buy a sinking stick (or senko to be politically correct) mold anywhere... But a classic like the slug-o, you may have to mold yourself... Many options for this process!.... Plaster is the most common and cheapest meathod...... Search your heart out, plenty of info on plaster molds here in the archives..... And plenty of experience to answer any questions you have!

Hey getting bit you live in So Cal. I also live in So Cal. It is funny that was the next mold I was going to buy. I started hand pouring more seriously and ordered some silicone molds from lurecraft. They are pretty cheap and work good. I was thinking about getting these molds.

http://www.lurecraft.com/Plastic-Mold-404/productinfo/5X404/

http://www.lurecraft.com/Plastic-Mold-553/productinfo/5X553/

Honestly I never used a sluggo because they stopped selling them out here before I started fishing. All of my friends that are older then me tell me how good they worked. So I figured I will just make my own.

The middle worm is a Merlo Worm.

You can google Steve Merlo Worms and find his worms.

There is also a video showing him actually pouring, and explaining the whole process.

His worms are amazing, so it's worth watching.

He will also talk to you on the phone like he knows you, so you can try that, too.

Edited by mark poulson

I guess they make molds for everything, ive never looked, i just make em

But ill ask the next question for ya... What formula of plastic did they use in slug-gos??

I havnt held one for years, but i remember they seemed heavier than a normal chunk of plastic... They also seemed to almost suspend just below the surface, which gave them that perfect glide/pause action!

I made some jerk baits similar to the slug-go a while back, but ended up scrapping them cause i didnt like the action

A sluggo will "suspend" once you put a big hook into it.

Mark, i dont remember what size hook i used as a kid (last time i fished a slug-go)... I used a 2/0 on the baits i made, they had a slow sink, but would roll rather than glide like the slug.... I read briefly about the slug-go and there was something in an article about a "special formula"... Of course it did not go into detail

First off exactly matching the "Senko" is absolutely not critical to success.  I fish a bait of my own design that is clearly different in profile head to head with "Senkos" and outfish them very successfully quite a lot of the time.  Atleast in water I am familiar with out of my own boat.  

That being said, I've found that non-iodized restaurant salt in the 25 lb bags works really well.  Its slightly finer than your cardboard cylinder of Morton`'s but not so flowery as to turn all baits white.  (All salt adds a whitish cast to baits to some degree that must be worked with.)  I store my salt in a sealed pickle bucket.  

I use 1/4 cup salt to 1 cup M-F soft sinking, and keep it fairly well stirred to keep the salt suspended.  Then color to personal taste.  Since I don't make "just another senko knockoff" its hard to compare, but I think my formula is a tiny bit heavier volume for volume than the GYCB formula.  It flat catches fish.  I've won two tournaments this year throwing them, and they contributed to a third.   

Edited by Bob La Londe