jonister

What To Do With Half A Rod

I find/catch a lot of garbage bass fishing, and came across half of a rod, (the top half) and cleaned it up. It is a very nice looking salmon rod (half) so unless i can find the other half today, i will be using it for good use for something else. My problem is, i have no clue what to do with it  :rolleyes:. It is medium light action i think and is quite wiggly, but im thinking maybe tail rope for sharks/sturgeon? Im pondering this but want to know if anyone has a better idea. If not, maybe ill just save it for parts.  Thanks guys! 

New update! i did not find the other end but did find another half of a rod! :D  this one is heavy/medium heavy. Ill use that for a tail roper, as for the lighter one, Mohawkman that sounds great! I actually was using it earlier to trim grapes :lol:. It cut nice and well through them and now the grapes are trimmed~(*checks off list) hahaha!

• Like 1

I use broken rod blanks for spare guides as well.  I also have added reamer grit to make a tool to ream out cork and foam handles.  Broken rod blanks also provide the material necessary to extend handles or add overall blank length from the bottom.  What else can you creative types think of?

• Like 1

I use the butt and rod seat to hold an old baitcasting reel that I use for removing good line from another reel, when I want to change line sizes, but don't want to throw the other line way.  It makes respooling the used line easy later on, and no line twist.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Chop the rod off in front of the reel seat then mount an old reel you no longer use to it. Load it with heavy braid and tie on your favorite plug knocker. Now you have an easy to use tool to get your cranks back when they get hung up.

Ben

lol..got an old abu rod in locker just for this!!!!!!

• Like 2

I don't know what you're fishing for, but I make an automatic fisherman for ice fishing. It uses an ice fishing jig rod with a lot of spring to it. There is a rod holder on the rear of the base that holds the rod at about 45 deg. Yhe front of the base has a hinged piece of plastic pipe with a trigger attached. The trigger is a piece 1/16" of copper coated steel welding wire that pivots on the end of the plastic pipe. About 1-1/2" up from the pivot is a 90 degree bend cut off at about 1".This is the loading point. The rest of the wire extends about 5-6" and has a V bend in the end of it. This is the trigger. The rod is placed in the holder. The tip of the rod is bent over and the tip is inserted onto the loading point.  DO NOT LEAN OVER THE ROD WHEN IT IS LOADED. The line is let out to depth with bait or a jig. The line is then laid ove the V on the trigger and the reel is closed. When the fish takes the line the trigger is pulled and the rod springs up, setting the hook. I don't see any reason why you couldn't adapt it for use on a boat as a second rod... If it is legal in your area. I will post a pic in the gallery.

It's a northern thing. Where i am the ice can get 3 ft deep or more. It's usually 2 ft or more mid winter. 50 miles south you probably will never even get fishable ice in the same winter. Further north or west and you have to use a 3 foot extension on your auger. 

The only thing I ever caught from the freezer was hell from my wife for putting trophy fish in there.

• Like 1

Flyswatter !

I saved my all my broken dobyns rods  from the 2”-10” above  the top of the reel seat down  and hack saw at whatever length you choose . You  then take a cheap metal / plastic fly swatter and cut to fit inside the rod blank you just had cut your desired length .  Stick itside the rod . And pour hot glue inside the rod . To hold the fly swatter secure . Use lots of hot glue until your flush with top of the hole where your fly swatter    Comes out .   You can choose if you want to have a longer or shorter flyswater this is a pre made Verizon . But I build my own cause it’s easy and I already had the broken Rods . 

Save the guides off the main portion  of the rod  for replacments when you bend one or pop out an insert . Someday . 

7FBE990A-1CF1-499A-BFD2-126CAC4530C3.jpeg

• Like 1