mark poulson

Lee Pots Help

I watched Steve Merlo's video (thanks Big Ray) and am wondering, first of all, is this the pot he uses, and, second, is it really that much easier to pour thin stuff with this pot?

http://www.lurecraft.com/Lee-Plastic-Production-Pot/productinfo/2X111/

I currently use silcone cups, and pinch the ends down to get a small pour spout, but it is hard to be precise, and I'd really like to do some smaller laminates.

Plus, going back and forth to the micro to reheat is a lot of work.

Sooo....what do you guys think about this pot?

• Like 1

Mark  .. I have had 2 of them  .. (Small Size) and there is really a huge learning curve (and a lot of luck) to make them work  ... Was never able to cook the plastic in the pot .. only used it for pouring..  Went to a couple of Presto Pots and have never looked back.

The best thing I have ever used for hand pouring (Which they will not stand behind for this use & I don't know if they still make them) is a "Wax Dropper" By StaWarm (mine went out way back when and could not get it repaired)  Cooked the plastic in a Deep Fryer and poured it into the "Dropper"  worked like a charm (this was back in the 60 and 70's a lot of things were different back then and you had to learn for yourself).

I have 3 small and 1 large.  I learned from one of the big time hand pour guys from the 80's his label was "Fishing Musician".  Yes there is a learning curve.  For the hand poured worms, swim baits and creatures that's all I use.  No salt. as it will not let the rod seal the spout.  Work great for the narrow baits, as long as you get the plastic nice and hot to get the thin stream.  # color pours are pretty darn good.  my 2 cents.

I had two Lee plastic pots.  When I got tired of fighting with them I offered them here on TU FOR FREE, and just pay shipping.  I could not give them away.  I think I finally threw them away.

That is funny, Bob. I can have a lot of hand pours done by the time I fight my Lee pot into working right.

As dumb as this sounds, I also forgot the pots change the entire aspect of pouring.  With open pour molds or injection, you are moving your plastic over the molds.  With Lee pots, you are moving your molds under the plastic, so you have to put your molds on something that will easily slide underneath the pot. 

For open pour and salt-less baits, I wouldn't use anything else but the Lee pots. The Lee's work great for open-pour laminated baits....however the stock temp control sucks for the most part. If using salt in your baits.....Lee is NOT the best option.....but with the correct mixer it can be the bomb for smaller quantity's.

I hand pour thin stuff with no salt all the time, and just put salt onto the open side while it's still hot, so it soaks in.  That way, I keep the small baits buoyant, but have the salt for flavor.

I figure, if it's good enough for Robo, and Steve Merlo, it's good enough for me.

But the silicone cups I use tend to clog if I pinch down the pouring spout too small, so I'm always pouring a little faster than I would like, and wind up with uneven pouring results.

I'm hoping that, with a little practice, I'll be able to pour my smaller works without have tons of trimming to do afterwards.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but I'll have the time to learn now.

Mark - tons of good info above.... I bought a used one a few years back and it's like everything else - it works once you figure out how to make it work for you!!!  LOL!!!!

I heat in micro to kick over and pour into the pot to avoid waiting a long time for the pot to heat the plastic - plus on the smaller pot - the plunger kind of blocks your ability to stir easily which would be a pain to heat from scratch in.

As mentioned - consistent heat is a challenge - I found it troubling to keep the plastic nice and runny without smoking it as I got lower in the pot - just like using a micro and cup - the more plastic you have in it, the easier it is to keep the heat just right - as it gets low you run the risk of burning or getting to cold and clogging. I haven't bothered trying to hook up a PID controller like some do to make these things work better - but it's an option.  Honestly I think if I rigged up a small paddle mixer to keep the bottom mixing - it would work a ton better - but haven't bothered with that either.  Think of the Lee Pot just like a mini Presto - but a little less friendly and temperamental.

J.

I watched Steve Merlo's video (thanks Big Ray) and am wondering, first of all, is this the pot he uses, and, second, is it really that much easier to pour thin stuff with this pot?

http://www.lurecraft.com/Lee-Plastic-Production-Pot/productinfo/2X111/

I currently use silcone cups, and pinch the ends down to get a small pour spout, but it is hard to be precise, and I'd really like to do some smaller laminates.

Plus, going back and forth to the micro to reheat is a lot of work.

Sooo....what do you guys think about this pot?

hey mark

what i did was tune the pot before i even put plastic in it. your going to need an inline light dimmer a infrared thermometer stir before taking temperature and some cooking oil. add 2 oz. of cooking oil to your pot! stir take temperature adjust your dimmer to your desired temperature mark it! add 2 more oz. to the pot now you have 4 oz. in the pot adjust dimmer like before mark an repeat. this has worked for me! stir the pot every other worm to keep the glitter suspended check temperature after you stir.

can i get a link to that video if you don't mind

• Like 1

I have two controlled with pids they work great. I got the pids on ebay. Do a google search there is info on people using them to control temps when casting lead, but it's the same with plastic just lower temps.

Would a PID automatically adjust to maintain the desired temp, no matter what the depth/amount of plastic in the pot?