Phenix72

Flexcoat Epoxy

I don't have a link for the D2T since I use the BS 30 minute epoxy. I believe you can get D2T at Ace hardware stores.

A lot of people use Etex, but again I prefer the 30 minute epoxy. Etex has to be applied in a much thinner coat or it will not level properly. It is usually applied in multiple coats to prevent sags or runs due to it's thinner nature. Again, this is just personal preference.

You can find either of the above mentioned epoxies on Ebay. Just remember you don't want the 5 minute epoxies as they yellow much quicker and are water "resistant". Not waterproof.

Ben

• Like 1

The 5 minute is fine for gluing parts together, but for a top coat you need the 30 minute.

If you haven't already done so I would read up on the proper mixing of epoxies. Most problems are related to improper mixing. Wouldn't hurt to also do some reading on how to deal with air bubbles that can be formed when mixing. A few drops of denatured alcohol will help bubbles to escape and will thin the mix so it's easier to apply and it will also give you an extra minute or two of working time. Just because it says "30 minute" on the bottle doesn't mean you have that much working time. Usually you have about 5 minutes at the most before the epoxy sets up enough that it's no longer workable.

good luck,

Ben

I have been using Devcon a long time, I have spinnerbaits that are more than 2 years old and there is no yellowing, it is one of the reasons I use the Devcon. You use the 30 minute,  the new packaging is Devcon 2-Ton Epoxy, that is the stuff you want and is 30 minute but real working time is maybe 15 minutes. The 5 minute is simply Devcon 5 minute epoxy. ProKote is one I looked into and I was told that it wouldn't be good for jigs as it isn't hard enough, not to mention it is thin and would require multiple coats to build up a decent top coat for lead lures like jigs and spinnerbaits.  This information came directly from Pro Products, I will often see a product that is used in other fashions and see if it could work for me. I was looking at making custom rods awhile back and saw Pro Kote thread epoxy and from the description it sounded like I could use it the same as flex coat but when I emailed pro products they told me they wouldn't recommend it for my use on jigs and it would require a drying wheel so even though I do look into other products, I still have yet to find anything that offers the ease of use and is as clear as Devcon 2 Ton.

Edited by smalljaw
  • Like 2

I recommend Bob Smith Slow-Cure 30 min epoxy 9 oz. for $14.75. I can't tell it works any different than d2t except Bob Smith is cheaper than what I have found d2t for. Here is one place to find it.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/bob-smith-industries/b365

I'm with you on the Bob Smith Slow-Cure Glenn. It may be just my imagination, but I swear it seems to give me a tad more working time than D2T and the bubbles from mixing seem to dissipate easier.

Ben

• Like 1

I bought some Devcon D2T from these guys:  

www3.towerhobbies.com

Sorry - I could not get the copy/paste function to work. The price is $12.79 for 9 oz

I also use Envirotex on the light colored jigs ( white, yellow, pink).

Pete

Hey Pete,

Your post looks like a post I would make word for word. Kind of eerie.

Below is the link you wanted to post, as I use tower hobbies as well, as they are one of the cheapest on-line sellers of D2T.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=epoxies

• Like 1

Hey Pete,

Your post looks like a post I would make word for word. Kind of eerie.

Below is the link you wanted to post, as I use tower hobbies as well, as they are one of the cheapest on-line sellers of D2T.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=epoxies

Well I learned about using Envirotex and D2T from you guys (Cadman, Smalljaw, etc.)!!  I believe that there is no need to try and reinvent things that have already been shown to work by guys who are pretty experienced. I like to experiment with some different things as far as my jigs go, but I leave the artistic stuff to people who are more competent than I am. Heck, I was in kindergarten for 6 years because I couldn't pass finger painting!!!! :D

Pete

• Like 3

Fish don't care about jigs yellowing, so why should we?  Now, for those who produce commercially...just make sure your customer is aware of this.  Profess it as an enhancer...lol.

I read this hair-splitting inquiry and think, to myself, how overly complicated all of this is...and crazy.

I do fish, on occasion, with a scientist though. :)