RayburnGuy

Help With Bucktails

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of trying to tie some bucktail jigs and while looking around on the 'net noticed some tails for sale that were "untanned" and some that were tanned. Can both be used with positive results or is one preferrable over the other?

thanks guys,

Ben

That's what I thought Smalljaw, but I found some untanned tails on Ebay. Wasn't sure if there was a reason for this or if the guy selling them didn't know how to tan them or was just lazy. Check them out at the links below.

Ben

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAXIDERMY-NICE-UNTANNED-WHITETAIL-DEER-TAIL-FISHING-FLY-TYING-FUR-HIDE-PELT-/201302609474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede920e42

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAXIDERMY-NICE-UNTANNED-WHITETAIL-DEER-TAIL-FISHING-FLY-TYING-FUR-HIDE-PELT-/361294435375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541ed3942f

That's what I thought Smalljaw, but I found some untanned tails on Ebay. Wasn't sure if there was a reason for this or if the guy selling them didn't know how to tan them or was just lazy. Check them out at the links below.

Ben

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAXIDERMY-NICE-UNTANNED-WHITETAIL-DEER-TAIL-FISHING-FLY-TYING-FUR-HIDE-PELT-/201302609474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede920e42

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAXIDERMY-NICE-UNTANNED-WHITETAIL-DEER-TAIL-FISHING-FLY-TYING-FUR-HIDE-PELT-/361294435375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541ed3942f

Tanned ones cost more because it requires more labor and chemicals. All I ever use are the cured ones, which I buy or do myself.

Bottom line it doesn't matter they all make great jigs. The e-bay items you show are perfect for the job.

Edited by fshng2

Either tanned or cured with salt or borax. Doesn't matter they all make great jigs. The e-bay items you show are perfect for the job.

Either tanned or cured with salt or borax. Doesn't matter they all make great jigs. The e-bay items you show are perfect for the job.

Perfect for the job? Not sure I understand that one. You mean they will be OK if they are tanned or cured? Not sure I'd want to take a chance on them. No telling how long they've been building up a funk in those bags. :wacko:

Edited by RayburnGuy

Ben:

I just checked my buck tails and not a single one is tanned. All of my deer body hair is on tanned hide. The buck tails are however cured, as in dry to the point of being brittle. I also have several self harvested that I "cure" myself with borax (yup, 20 Mule Team Borax from the grocery store)  I see no difference in the tails.

The self harvested should be washed with soap and water to remove most of the natural oils then apply a liberal coat of borax on the flesh side of the skin.  They become dry in a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone. Like previously stated I'm thinking of tying some bucktail jigs and have been doing research on tools and such for the last couple nights. The "untanned" thing just threw me for a loop. I understand now that they don't necessarily have to be tanned as long as they have been cured to remove the moisture.

thanks again everyone,

Ben

• Like 1

I learned something, when I cure them with borax and salt it is basically dried or cured and not tanned. Those will work since I get fresh tails from hunters every year. I have a taxidermist friend and he puts them in what he calls a "pickling solution" so I'm assuming he "tans" the tails, I guess it is just correct terminology that I struggle with but now I understand a bit better because of this thread.

I first started thinking about tying a couple weeks ago when I paid $20 for some feathered trebles. Years ago we used to tie lures for stripers and they consisted of little more than a hook, some white feathers and yarn like that used for crocheting. The "flies" were fished unweighted behind a weighted popping cork so the feathers kept the hook close to the surface. They probably cost less than .25 cents to make and the stripers loved them when they were schooling on shad. So I figured if I could tie lures for stripers why not feathered trebles and bucktails.

It will take me a while to learn the correct terminology for this new venture and I really appreciate everyone's help. The folks at TU sure make the learning curve a lot easier.

No doubt there will be more "newb" questions to come so don't you guys go running off anywhere.

thanks guys,

Ben

If you go to you tube, I have some videos of tying that may help you out Rayburn Guy. I started doing them to help a friend and I ended up getting request to use different materials and so now I have a channel. I have a few different types of buck tail jigs, like heavy deep water types and small multicolored ones for winter fishing.

• Like 1

If your looking for good flare on the hair . Take a pair of old time eye lash curlers and pull a hank on your bucktail about the dia. of a pencil through and squeeze down . The hair will flare three four time the hank size . If it dosen't seperate it out for jig tying or to use for slimmer profiles . When I was still doing tackle I graded all my hair that way .

Smalljaw I've watched several of your videos and they are indeed very helpful. Not being a computer whiz I didn't know about "subscribing to channels" on youtube, but will be doing so.

Toadfrog I would never have thought about using an eye lash curler for tying jigs. That's one thing I love about TU. There are always a lot of ways to skin a cat and somebody, at some time, has tried pretty much all of them and instructions are readily available at TU just for the asking.

thanks guys,

Ben

If you are about to make streamers get ready to use a lot of thread . Making a decent head on the fly takes some practice. Especially when you begin to taper towards the eye , then tie off . Liberally coat those heads with clear coat that will soak in . As you learn this sore fingers will probably develope because it takes quite a bit more hands on pressure than jigs. 

If you are worried about the tails going bad, put them in a garbage bag, and into the freezer. Only get out as many as you need.

I get 250 to 275 tails in the spring, and then another batch in the fall. He dries them a little, and sometimes I see a hunk of fat on a tail. I scrape it off, wash in dishwashing fluid and Greased lightning to cut the grease out. Leave soak for an hour or so and stir when I walk past.  Put them in an old pillowcase and tie a GOOD knot. Don't want them tails to get out in the wifes washing machine. Put on the drain/spin cycle and they will air dry in a day. Use/dye or freeze them. I pay $.90 a tail, and they are BIG northern tails.

Find a guy that handles pelts, he should be able to hook you up.