PaJay

Swing Jig Inserts And Hooks ?

Ok I'm not new to pouring jigs and sinkers but I got the new swing jig mold and I'm lost. I can not get the insert or the hook to stay in the 1 oz and 1 1/4 oz. I set them in there but if you breathe they fall out. Someone help me!

If I remember correctly, the hook hangs quite a way over the edge of the mold, and as it hangs over, pulls the wire insert along with the hook out of the cavity. It also depends on what size hook you are using in what cavity. If this is your dilemma, than you can do 2 things to solve this problem. #1, You can lightly tape the hook shank to the mold half, and that will hold it temporarily until you close your mold to pour. #2, Make a small aluminum ledge onto one mold half, to keeep the hook from doing this. Make the aluminum angle or a ledge for the hook to sit on, and then drill/screw it into the bottom of the mold half or countersink a screw into the face below the cavity. I hope this makes sense. I will post a pic when I get home tonight.

• Like 1

Hope this helps.

1.  Make sure you have the right size of the insert for the mold.  Two sizes.  450 for the smaller and the 600 for the larger molds

2.  I use a strip of tape backed magnetic strip and attach to the mold.  After a couple of squeezes with the hooks in place it  makes a groove to keep the hooks still.  This assists in holding the hook and the insert in place to pour the lead. 

The magnetic strip can be grooved with a straight razor as well.  I placed mine along the mold, just below the size number.  Fits perfect once the grooves are made.

• Like 2

These are all great tips. I forgot to mention that on these larger sizes the inserts even fall into the cavities without hooks on them. I have a lot of molds and have had some issues but I always found a work around. All pics would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm losing my touch, or just losing it!!!

I put duct tape across the recessed section below the lead cavity.  Fold the tape back onto itself so no sticky parts are exposed - forming a "skirt" along the bottom edge.  This collapses for easy placement of the mold under the lead pot.  

when you get the hooks to stop moving the inserts stay put.

• Like 1

Here are some pics. In the 1st one, I used a piece of stn stl, and screwed it to the inside of the mold halves. This keeps my hook straight and in the center of the mold when I close it. The second pic would work better for you, as you do not need the hook to stay in the middle, you only need to support it. So I put a piece of cardboard underneath the duct tape and stuck the duct tape onto the mold half. Lot of ideas that will work.

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

post-13040-0-32666100-1435627952_thumb.jpg

post-13040-0-48082900-1435627991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do you use just regular Wal Mart duct tape or something special?

PaJay, you can use any kind of duct tape as long as it is sticky. I also found, that if the duct tape is stiffer, you may not need the cardboard. There are different grades of duct tape. Finally like all adhesive tapes, the hotter the mold gets from constant pouring, the more likely the tape will want to un-adhere (is that a word)? Anyway you know what I mean, so you might have to come up with a different solution.

• Like 1

PaJay I just saw a pic from a guy in TN.  He just opens a second mold and lays it down to hold the hooks level with the swing mold.

Wow Jigman I was checking my mold out last night and thought that might be an option. Thanks!

PaJay I just saw a pic from a guy in TN.  He just opens a second mold and lays it down to hold the hooks level with the swing mold.

Well I finally got to pouring the Swing Jigs. This tip by far worked the bast. That and Franford mold release and I was banging them out. 1/2 to 1 1/4 oz. thanks for all the help !!!

I was making swing jigs with the old regular football head jig mold before do-it made one.

I used silly puddly to hold in single eyes, without hooks.

After powder painting I heated the hook eyes with a candle and opened the hook eye to put it on the jig eye, then closed the hook eye while still hot.

Don't forget to then rapid cool it in water or oil to not loose the temper of the hook.