Ccfish

Keeping Powder Paint Out Of The Eye On A Brush Jig.

Anyone got any tricks to this? I've been holding them by the eye with needle nose but the powder keeps getting in. I clean it out with a wire but it just looks kinda messy. I know the fish don't care but it's just a craftsmanship thing.

• Like 1

I do the same, with a pair of old needle nose that one of my sons gave me.

It actually has the imprint of the hook eye in it now, from hardened powder that forms around it when I dip into the fluid bath.

It's not 100%, mostly because I do it without my glasses, so I'm kinda sloppy, but they work well enough.

I dip 50 or so, and hang them on a wire rack as I dip.  Once I'm done, I check the eyes, remove any slop with a pair of split ring pliers, and then cure them in my toaster oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I don't sell, so this is just for me and my buddy, who does the lead pouring.

• Like 1

Step 1

Hold hook with one plier while heating jig and only heat enough to make paint stick.

step 2

Grab eye with second plier that is cool and dip in powder paint.

Goal: Keeping temp low and using second pair of pliers acts as a heat sink and prevents paint from sticking on eye.

Bake in oven till done.

.....Problem Solved....

Edited by fshng2
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll give the two plier thing a shot next time. Never thought about using the split ring pliers to clear the hole out gonna try that out too. Mark, I don't sell either, I just like them to look like or better than the store quality ones I guess that's kinda the fun for me is being able to make something better than I can buy. Thanks again.

• Like 2

I use a propane torch to heat and I use a fluid bed to paint and here is what I do. I heat the collar of the jig and I only heat the back side, then I quick dip in the fluid bed and I get a nice even coat that , even after, curing, leave the open but with a light coat of paint on. I heat my jig so it glosses over because when trying the low heat to make it barely stick, I either get bare spots or too much paint on, mostly it is bare spots. The secret is to heat away from the eye, and while the lead will distribute the heat throughout the entire jig, if I heat the collar just right the heat at the eye will be just a little less and a quick dip in the bed gets a super thin coat but the dip has to be quick.

• Like 1

I heat with a heat gun.  I hold the hook in my hand while I heat the head.  I only heat enough to get a dull powdery coat.  I hold over the eye with needle nosed pliers and swish it through the fluid bed, hang it in the oven rack and bake when I have enough painted.  99% of the time I have no paint on the eye of the hook.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I use a heat gun and a fluid bed also. All my other jigs come out great. That brush jig with the sunken eye has been giving me fits though. Appreciate all the replies. Ill give it another shot tonight.

Edited by Ccfish
  • Like 3

So how accurate is the spray gun is it mainly for 1 color applications or is possible to do jig heads with multiple colors with it. I've tried the tapping the brush method a couple of times, didnt come out like i had pictured it in my head. Lol. Anyway just curious what its capabilities are.

I can do a brush jig with a white belly, pink cheeks and a green top. I can also add a red throat.

Basseducer sounds like you have had alot of practice with multiple colors. Could you post a picture of that one to help me visualize.

That's right Devcon, make sure you use the 30 minute. It has a longer pot life and is waterproof.

I don't remember where all I got them, I have four. TJ's tackle has a nice kit for a really good price.

Here comes the technical part, I hope you can understand scientific talk and stuff. First I made a paint booth out of particle board, It has a screen in the rear and has a bathroom fan behind that. I spray into one corner where most of the over spray collects, the flyaway stuff as I call it gets sucked up by the fan. Now here is where it gets technical. What paint accumulates in the corner gets swept up with a brush and deposited into a funnel then gets dumped back into the air brush jar or back into the storage container.

The bathroom fan does a fair job of sucking up the flyaway, but some gets away and lands around the shop and on me. To fix this I just purchased a small dust collector from Harbor Freight and will be setting it up in the next couple days.

Hope this helps

Yep scientific stuff makes perfect sense to me.

I got a good visual of the recovery system. Maybe a modification to your current system is in order. Could you enclose all sides with particle board, except make the front out of plexiglass. Then cut two holes in the plexiglass and attach a glove at each hole (seal around gloves). You may also need a damper in the particle board near the plexiglass to compensate for the air flow created by the fan.

A simple damper can be made from a piece of cardboard attached with one screw and allowed to swing over hole to slow or speed up the air flow.

Fshng2 - the gloves would not be necessary and the hand holes can be cut to generous proportions. The reason being that, the volume of air being drawn by the fan will be concentrated through the hand holes, making the velocity very fast and particle escape impossible.

Dave