Ryno Plastics

Working with Lee's Plastic Pouring Pot

Just ordered my first Pro Pot...just got tired of using the pouring pans all the time. I've read several posts in the past about people having trouble with either the spout clogging or thier temp. not mainting at the proper pouring temp. I want to use this thing effeciently and properly so if there are any tips or suggestions you wouldn't mind sharing I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Ryan

Turn up the heat slowly to prevent schorching, Start at 2 1/2 or 3 and work your way up the heat settings. You can still get scorched plastic but not as bad if you start off with lower heat settings.

Dont load it up with salt. The salt will settle to the bottom and not let the plastic pour. Its also harder to stir the plastic to keep the salt suspended.

But they are good for pouring without dripping.

If possible to speed things up I would cook the plastic in a microwave then pour it into the pot It would heat up verry slow if you try to cook the plastic in it production pot.

I hold the molds (mostly Lurecraft or my own) on a large putty knife or drywall taping knife (about 4" wide). Makes it a whole lot easier to move the mold under the "pot", kinda like giving the mold a handle.

The hardest thing for me using these pots is trying to see inside and make sure that the color and everything is right before I pour.

I usually cook my plastic in a sauce pan so I can see the color and make sure everything looks right. Then I put it in the pour pot or I pour it into old plano 3500 utility boxes, used as a mold. I then have a quantity of plastic, already colored/glittered that I can remelt in the pour pot. Doesn't scorch as often and colors stay consistent. Don't forget to sitr if you add salt or glitter.

What you need to do is when you notice the plastic getting cloudy and milky, turn the pot down to about 6 or so. You could also stir it a bit. When I pour baits for orders, I start the plastic out by microwaving it a little and then adding it to an already hot pouring pot. I have not had a problem like yours though. I usually crank the pots up to 9 until I'm ready to pour. Use this advice only with liquid plastic. If you are remelting, do it slower as far as heat is concerned.

LOL, turn it down to 6? It never gets above 4.5! anything less and it just sits their and does this blank look.

Now I do evreythign with a micro and pyrex cups. I can change colors as fast as I change molds.

More than likely its a bad thermocouple. But its cheeper to chuck it than get one for that temp range.

I think my pots just shot. Dont even have to touch the knob and it will take hot plastic to the point it will set up. then it over heats.

Its only 3 years old. I have been using the microwave to heat it up before using the pot. But since it is such a pain I am thinking of trying the stawarm pors like bruce and srplastics are using. But man 500.00 is a good bit of money. But if it works it will pay for itself shortly.

The Lee pots work great once you get used to them. Microwaving and transferring is the way to start off. Most of my small pots run well at about 6-8, can't keep a full pot cool with less heat...the big pots run better at a little lower setting. Have found lots of variance pot to pot.

Heat stabilizer really will help keep things heating correctly. Also remember to decrease heat as you pour and reduce the volume of plastic in the pot. Would also recommend ordering at least 4 to start, really not useful unless you several colors ready to go.