crzyjunyer

Learning Curve On Rods

i am doing my research and reading all i can right now on getting ready to build rods. I plan to get a small kit to begin with as well as a turner. I think i can make a threader based on some homemade ones i have seen "how to's" on. I have painted cranks on and off for a few years now and know there was several curves (paint thinning, nozzzle control, etc.) that just took practice doing to learn the art of. I plan to start off with some cheaper lightweight spining kits and then some crankbait rods. I have read enough already that nobody reccomends trying to learn on a $180 scV blank for jigs or anything. I am looking more at the $20-30 blanks.

So for you experienced rod builders what are the harder things to master or at least get the hang of for a beginning rod builder?

I don't build rods, but saw what I thought was a cool way to keep tension on the thread while wrapping. Whoever it was building the rod had affixed a mousetrap in front of where his wrapping was being done and ran the thread under the part of the mousetrap that snaps the little mouses neck.

Ben

• Like 1

I learned to turn my rods by hand and don't use any type of holder except when I get ,weight heavy on the end, then I will lay the end of the rod on the back of a chair or what ever is handy. I use to pull the thread through a book to adjust the tension as desired. I found it easier to keep the eyes lined up if I look at the rod and eyes from the back side of the rod. The rod tends to split the eyes in the middle and it is easier to tell if all eyes are centered with the rod. Mud Hole has a chart showing spacing for different rod lengths. I use a small artist brush handle to move the wraps closer together to keep the rod from showing through. It is easy to over do the wrapping, sometimes less is better.

The most difficult for me was tight thread wraps and the finish. Don't worry about the spine, just wrap the guides on the straightest axis. While I have a burnishing tool to help pack wraps, I usually do better by using my fingernail instead and burnishing with the tool after the wrap is complete.

If this was something I was truly interested in I would start with a hand wrapper...minimal expense and makes the wrapping process of keeping tension constant much easier. I wish I would have started with one instead of the thread bobbin I started with. It worked fine but the hand wrapper is much easier!

This is probably the best $40 you can spend

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/CRB-Tools-Equipment/CRB-Hand-Wrapper-System-HWS-1

The most difficult for me was tight thread wraps and the finish. Don't worry about the spine, just wrap the guides on the straightest axis. While I have a burnishing tool to help pack wraps, I usually do better by using my fingernail instead and burnishing with the tool after the wrap is complete.

If this was something I was truly interested in I would start with a hand wrapper...minimal expense and makes the wrapping process of keeping tension constant much easier. I wish I would have started with one instead of the thread bobbin I started with. It worked fine but the hand wrapper is much easier!

This is probably the best $40 you can spend

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/CRB-Tools-Equipment/CRB-Hand-Wrapper-System-HWS-1

Ditto Excellent post

Edited by Musky0503

I've built 20 rods using simple V blocks, a tea cup to hold the thread, a catalog to tension the thread, and a home brew 4 rpm rod turner to cure the epoxy.  Total cost was $6 for the electric motor and a 3" piece of PVC pipe into which I threaded 3 hand screws to secure the rod handle.  Is my setup ideal?  No, all the thread work is turned by hand and it's much slower than a power wrapper.  But it gets the job done and I'm used to it, so I happily soldier on.  I find wrapping guides pretty tedious, but I don't think a wrapper would make a night-and-day difference - and besides, they're darned expensive.  There is no equipment that will do it better, just equipment that does it faster.

• Like 1

Expect to go very slow, and don't be afraid to stop and walk away for a while. My first rods were built while deployed to Iraq and it was not uncommon to take several days to get all the guides on. I built several 10 1/2 foot Salmon rods on that deployment and each one had its own challenges. Most important is the prep work ensuring you put enough guides on the rod for a smooth transition all the way to the tip. I don't have as many issues now I have been doing it for a while and a lot of my rods are spiral wrapped so guide placement is easier for me. Oh and I can build a rod in about 4 hours vice days now that I have moved to a power wrapper, still have to get up and walk away a few times cause my back starts to ache from bending over the table. Be careful, it is addicting and you will want to build a new rod for every type or style of fishing you do. I am currently on deployment again and have already bought 14 blanks and over 300 guides for my return and the wife keeps asking, where do you want this box that came in today put?

Expect to go very slow, and don't be afraid to stop and walk away for a while. My first rods were built while deployed to Iraq and it was not uncommon to take several days to get all the guides on. I built several 10 1/2 foot Salmon rods on that deployment and each one had its own challenges. Most important is the prep work ensuring you put enough guides on the rod for a smooth transition all the way to the tip. I don't have as many issues now I have been doing it for a while and a lot of my rods are spiral wrapped so guide placement is easier for me. Oh and I can build a rod in about 4 hours vice days now that I have moved to a power wrapper, still have to get up and walk away a few times cause my back starts to ache from bending over the table. Be careful, it is addicting and you will want to build a new rod for every type or style of fishing you do. I am currently on deployment again and have already bought 14 blanks and over 300 guides for my return and the wife keeps asking, where do you want this box that came in today put?

Thank you for the sacrifices you have made for us, and the country as a whole, Master Chief.

Merry Christmas.

Ben

• Like 3