Jaxon2

Plastic Lips For Jigging Rap/shiver Minnow

Looking at making my own jigging raps and I'm going to customize my own mold but when it comes to adding the plastic tail on the shiver minnow I don't know what to do. What should a person use? I've read a little about using polycarbonate, but this is all new so I figured I'd ask and see if I could get any pointers fron people that make their own crankbait and worked with the different plastics. Thanks

Polycarbonate is durable, impact resistant, and moderately priced so is favored by hardbait builders.  You can cut it with metal snips or a saw and you can heat it in hot oil and bend it somewhat to a desired form.  Most other plastics are comparatively brittle and are weakened by exposure to UV radiation.  That said, a lot of other plastics are flexible and simpler to use.  So it boils down to how durable and stiff you need the plastic to be.  For that particular application, I'd be thinking of using a softer, more flexible plastic because the wings on a jigging rap don't seem to get much abuse and a softer plastic would be easier to work.  JMHO

thanks Bob and Saltwater! What are some of the other plastics that are more flexible and easier to use? Are you talking about acrylic sheets or something else? Thanks again

Ive found plastic cut out from old milk jugs to be extremely strong and flexible... If it bends, you can bend it back and it holds its shape...... Plus its free!!!

I think Devcon 2 Ton would be good.  Even if you want the wing to flex, you don't want the part in the slot to flex.  It also depends on what exact material you chose for the wing.  Some plastics don't adhere to certain glues but if you rough up the area to be glued, epoxy will grab it.  It's even better if you cut some small slots into the wing's glue area.

Edited by BobP