chachybaby

Colours Fading In My Soft Plastics

Hi guys

This may be an old topic. But for a newbie, I poured some baits last year and over the year noticed their colour changing and fading.

Why is it happening? Something I did? I used c creek clear plastisol and colorants from bears

Edited by chachybaby

Hi guys

This may be an old topic. But for a newbie, I poured some baits last year and over the year noticed their colour changing and fading.

Why is it happening? Something I did? I used c creek clear plastisol and colorants from bears

I've had the same issue (same plastisol).... the baits actually "get cloudy" and it's really noticeable on anything transparent or with blue tones.  As mentioned - making sure you hit a minimum of 350 when first kicking it over - which does seem to help.... but I've done this and still had baits get cloudy.  The really annoying part is I have baits made from the same exact batch of heated plastic where some are cloudy and others are not - kept in the same plastic box right next to each other..... and I use a motorized stirrer on my Presto - so it's not like the plastic wasn't stirred enough.

The only thing I've come up with is the baits are absorbing moisture over time and that makes them "cloudy".  My basement gets humid and that is where i store my stuff.  I've also noticed on a bait I left on my boat bottom by accident which was sitting in a wet spot - that it "got cloudy" - but that same bait after tossing it on the seat in the sun then went back to clear after a few hours.... so maybe it "dried out" is my only guess. 

Wish I could help more - but try putting the baits out in the sun on a non-humid day and see if they change back is all I got.  I thought I had this licked when I made sure to heat to 350.... but recently after having 1/3 of a batch of smoke colored baits cloud up 4 weeks after pouring them I'm stumped and plan to just go a different direction in my next purchase of plastisol.

J.

Salt in the mix can cause colors to fade or become milky.

Yeah - this isn't a salt thing - I don't ever use salt.

I'm not one to immediately blame a product - as there are many variable that I may be introducing that aren't the products fault....

It could still be a temperature thing - maybe my digital thermo isn't as accurate as I think it is....

I do drop baits into a bath of water after demolding - but no longer than a few minutes, just to set the shape/reach room temp so they don't deform when I sit them out on a table for a couple days before putting them in a plastic box.... no oils/scents are added until they are on the hook.

I do add heat stabilizer - maybe I'm putting in too much and that might explain some baits being good (first made) and other changing color/clouding (after adding stabilizer)

Only other variable I can think of is that I use molds made of urethane plastic and spray a little PAM in them every 6-7 shots to insure the baits slide out real easy... maybe the PAM is being absorbed on the first couple shots and reacting with the plastic and the later shots in the mold don't turn color as there is little to no PAM left in the mold.

I didn't have this issue with another product - and what really burns me most is the randomness of it in the same batch of plastic, heated and molded at the same time.... if a whole batch turned - then another didn't - I'd say that's on me (temp/mix/etc) but  there is something else going on... and the weirdest part is it doesn't seem to happen for weeks/months - then all of a sudden baits look crappy.

j.

I did add a little bears fine powder salt to mix and scents before and after pouring. Added stabilizer because i reheat, few drops. Kept them in zip lock bags with bit worm oil for storage. Too many variables I know. I never put baits in water after pouring.

Next time I'm adding nothing to mix besides stabilizer