Question for the crank experts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Markell

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:32 PM

What are your thoughts on using swivels with a crank bait that has a split ring? Does this affect the action of the bait? Any other concerns? Thanks.

#2 Art Brush

Art Brush

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:17 AM

I'm not an expert but from what I've noticed... lures smaller in mass will be effected by the added wieght and might not swim right. For eg: a 2 1/2 inch mystic minnow will not swim at all with a swivel. Where as larger lures like the Normans DD's don't seem to be effected by the added half gram.

Tight lines,

#3 RiverMan

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:15 AM

I generally use one or the other, a split ring or a duo-snap, not both. I don't ever use a swivel on a crank tho, it's not necessary as the crank shouldn't be spinning, well unless it's one that I have built, lol. I fish for salmon and steelhead primarily and it used to be that the plugs we use for them all came with split rings.....hot shots, wiggle warts, hot-n-tot, kwikfish, tadpolly (my favorite), etc. Now tho virtually all of them come with a duo snap which I much prefer as it allows you to change plugs without having to retie, snap on snap off......did that sound familiar?