Kasilofchrisn

Best Way To Smooth Out Rtv In A Mold?

I had a request to modify one of my molds slightly.

Decided red RTV was the ticket to accomplish what I needed to do.

So it woks well now but the RTV isn't really smooth like I want it to be. It will work for now though.

When you guys apply RTV to a mold is there a good way to smooth it out.

The ways I tried it just sticks to whatever tool I use to accomplish the task and is hard to get it looking perfect.

Is it better to wait until it partially sets? Or should I oil the tool first so the RTV doesn't stick to it?

I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

If the master is bottom mounted and the RTV poured over, then the finish is not important. A few heavy taps of the mold container onto a solid surface should level the RTV out and let gravity do the rest.

I have never tried top molding, by sinking the master into the surface. This method, although an accepted method, just seems too imprecise to me. But, an imperfect surface would be a plus, as every imperfection is adding a good location key, so I wouldn't be too bothered about smoothing out.

It is nice to finish up a mold and have it all looking pretty and squared off. In my early attempts at plaster molding, I would sand the surfaces and sides. Yes, the molds looked pretty, but they did not perform any better and once I stopped, I didn't have to buy 20 sheets at a time and spend ten minutes cleaning up all the plaster dust.

Dave

In most situations I let the rtv set up and then cut with razor blade. If situation doesn't allow for that, I wet my finger and smooth it out. Wet whatever tool you use and it will be less likely to stick.

That's most likely what I will do in the future when I find time. I have a bunch of small exacto knife blades.

It's a rather large Aluminum CNC mold. The goal is to add just a bit of the RTV so the #3 line tie eye stands out a bit more than it originally was designed to.

To make a little more room to hook on a large swivel in addition to the assist setup I normally use.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

If the master is bottom mounted and the RTV poured over, then the finish is not important. A few heavy taps of the mold container onto a solid surface should level the RTV out and let gravity do the rest.

I have never tried top molding, by sinking the master into the surface. This method, although an accepted method, just seems too imprecise to me. But, an imperfect surface would be a plus, as every imperfection is adding a good location key, so I wouldn't be too bothered about smoothing out.

It is nice to finish up a mold and have it all looking pretty and squared off. In my early attempts at plaster molding, I would sand the surfaces and sides. Yes, the molds looked pretty, but they did not perform any better and once I stopped, I didn't have to buy 20 sheets at a time and spend ten minutes cleaning up all the plaster dust.

Dave

This is a simple modification of an Aluminum CNC machined mold that I am working on.

I haven't yet made a mold out of RTV.

This is a simple modification of an Aluminum CNC machined mold that I am working on.

I haven't yet made a mold out of RTV.

Yes, I spotted that after writing the post, realizing I had misread the original. Rather than throw it away, I decided to act dumb and post it anyway. What I should have done was started a new thread with it.

The razor is obviously the way to go.

Dave