ruthunter

Ultra Molds Shooting Star

Ok so I recently bought a shooting star setup. My question is what temperature is the best for shooting plastic? Also do you heat your plastic up initially then put in the pots? Seems like I'm ruining more baits than what are coming out right. I'm also finding the 3:1 injector to be inconsistent. Any feedback would be appreciated..thx!

I run my blending block at 330 and my pots are at 276 using M-F SS. Haven't had a single dented bait or unfilled appendage in the past 15 gallons. results will vary depending on brand and hardness of the plastic your using.

Cheers mate,

Obviously I'm running temps way too high - 330-340, running a single pot. I am using medium, but still looking at yours I should probably be closer to 300.

For our systems, to push plastic through the gel stage you will need to be around 350+F.

We have and do run our pots as low as 265-270 and still get great results with soft plastic

When it comes to topping up if you are adding raw plastisol you will have to up the temp again to push it thro the gel stage then lower it back down, same goes for throwing in regrind. Keep it chopped up fine and it will melt faster as the surface area in contact with the hot plastisol is greater and the heat can penetrate faster as the volume is less. Adding preheated plastisol already through the gel stage and you don't really have to change anything.

And yes our pots are run at different temps to get the same result in each pot! :pissed:!! And sorry but no I have no idea why this happens. :mad:  :flame:

But don't forget there are a huge number of factors that will cause the plastisol to perform differently at different temps. I think we've all had a batch that has discolored at temps which makes no sense at all to what you know from experience.

Rupert,  I have noticed that differences in the mix need to be handled differently even when microwaving.  Same plastic out of the same jug.  Just different colors, powders, flake, etc.  I think its one of those craft vs science issues that are hard to sort out.  Also, I have several Prestos (store bought) and I have noticed that the temperature setting is not consistent from one to the next... and I hate those stupid magnetic plugs.  

I figured you ran your own heat cartridge and controller on your pots, but if you are using anything like that Presto controller it will probably have the same issues to a certain degree.  

• Like 1

For our systems, to push plastic through the gel stage you will need to be around 350+F.

We have and do run our pots as low as 265-270 and still get great results with soft plastic

When it comes to topping up if you are adding raw plastisol you will have to up the temp again to push it thro the gel stage then lower it back down, same goes for throwing in regrind. Keep it chopped up fine and it will melt faster as the surface area in contact with the hot plastisol is greater and the heat can penetrate faster as the volume is less. Adding preheated plastisol already through the gel stage and you don't really have to change anything.

And yes our pots are run at different temps to get the same result in each pot! :pissed:!! And sorry but no I have no idea why this happens. :mad:  :flame:

But don't forget there are a huge number of factors that will cause the plastisol to perform differently at different temps. I think we've all had a batch that has discolored at temps which makes no sense at all to what you know from experience.

Excellent I can now go back to the drawing board! I had gone back to my pyrex in frustration, I had mentioned before I have cleaning issues, which now obviously I can link back to running the pots way too high, I was getting a thin film of Burnt plastic on the inside, the well and the "runners" to the port that being burnt, wouldn't peel off, should have realized it earlier.

Giving it a good scrub and running a batch of black through it tonight should get me on the front foot again, at a lower temp!

Edited by edgecrusher

Excellent I can now go back to the drawing board! I had gone back to my pyrex in frustration, I had mentioned before I have cleaning issues, which now obviously I can link back to running the pots way too high, I was getting a thin film of Burnt plastic on the inside, the well and the "runners" to the port that being burnt, wouldn't peel off, should have realized it earlier.

Giving it a good scrub and running a batch of black through it tonight should get me on the front foot again, at a lower temp!

That's a good example of why sometimes its good for the community to ask about a problem so all can read.   It looks like it was just a procedural problem for the original poster, and it looks like it helped you out as well.  I know I hate having people post about my problems publicly, but if anybody can help fix the problem it helps more than just the one asking.  

• Like 2

Your ideal temperatures will vary, depending on the plastisol that you are using. The plastic that I use will push through the the gel stage at about 330 degrees. I set the temperature control boxes at 340 degrees to start, when they reach that temperature and cycle twice [red light off-red light on] I cut them back to 300 degrees and then purge the injector a few times to help circulate the plastic in the pots. I have an infrared thermometer and also a digital core prode, but to be honest, I can tell more by just looking at the plastic as it heats and the way it feels when I am filling the injector. There are some things to watch for, such as an air conditioner vent that might be blowing more on one pot. [Learned this the hard way} I suggest that you work with dark colors until you have the feel of the unit, it will come to you pretty fast.

• Like 1