mark poulson

Bluegill Spybait Works

I moved up to the Sacramento Delta two weeks ago, and have gotten out to fish three times so far.  

I know, I know, but I do have a lot to unpack, so I actually stole some time this last week to fish.

Yesterday, on a high/slightly falling tide, I got to throw my bluegill spybait.

I got a 2lber, and lost a bigger fish in the same spot, an area between a line of tulles and the shoreline cover.  When I couldn't keep it out of the tulles (bull rushes) it pulled off.  Grrr!!!

Here's the bait:   http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/14360-bluegill-spybait-2/

I will be upgrading from the #4's to #2 trebles, and putting 17lb test on that setup, so I'm not afraid to horse the fish out of cover.  I'd rather have them pull off on the way to the boat than pull me into the junk and pull off!

It is an easy bait to make, easy to fish, and it works!

P.S.  I typically make a bait, and play with it until I get it right, and then move on.  Posting the building details when I post the pic. in the gallery helps me remember the details while they are still fresh, and gives me a handy reference, complete with pics of the freshly painted lures, when I want to make more.

TU is a great site!!!

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks for the welcome guys.

When I dig out from all the boxes that are still packed, I'll get in touch.

It's hard not to go fishing every day!

Another Delta mystery solved.  I couldn't figure out what in the world had covered the dock with poop full of sea shells and crawdad parts.

This morning I was greeted by an otter, who uses my dock for sunning and pooping! 

What an amazing place to live!

Mark - you got otters, you lucky guy. It took me two years to capture an otter photo. Extremely shy critters and the poop really stinks bad.

The poop is a territory and mating thing, so they are going to be around for a while. Probably make a good lure attractant, are you brave enough to try otter poop :)

Dave

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

otter TU.jpg

post-14497-0-58111400-1437750473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Barry,

I've always been on the side of not taking water from the Delta.

The San Joaquin Valley farmers, who use 90% of the Aqueduct water, but pay a fraction of what the SoCal residential users pay, should have to switch to less water intensive crops than the nuts and alfalfa they are now raising, strictly for export!

In the face of global warming, with the Great Lakes up 3' already, we need an interstate water transfer system, so water can be pumped from where it's not need to where it's needed.  Like the National Power Grid.  

If we hired the oil companies to build the system, it would be done cheaply and efficiently.  But we can't let them control the water itself, or we'll be paying $4 a gallon for that, too.

• Like 2

Barry,

I've always been on the side of not taking water from the Delta.

The San Joaquin Valley farmers, who use 90% of the Aqueduct water, but pay a fraction of what the SoCal residential users pay, should have to switch to less water intensive crops than the nuts and alfalfa they are now raising, strictly for export!

In the face of global warming, with the Great Lakes up 3' already, we need an interstate water transfer system, so water can be pumped from where it's not need to where it's needed. Like the National Power Grid.

If we hired the oil companies to build the system, it would be done cheaply and efficiently. But we can't let them control the water itself, or we'll be paying $4 a gallon for that, too.

If we hired the oil companies to build the system, it would be done cheaply and efficiently.

Ha!... Ha ha... Ha!..... Hang on, let me regain control of my blatter.......

Ok..... Totally agree about the water pipeline!... Flooding here, drought there... If we can pump oil across Alaska, we can pump water across the lower 48

But oil companies don't do anything cheap or efficint!... ive been in the industry for 4 years, but it only took me 4 months to learn why gas prices are so high

Heres a joke i read on fb that sums it up

3 contractors bidding on constructing a new drilling location in a large metropolitan area... 1 from New York, one from Kansas, one from Texas

The city administrator meets all 3 eager to get the project started

The Kansas contractor takes his measurements, makes some phone calls... Comes back to the administrator and bids $9000... "$4000 for materials, $4000 for my crew crew and $1000 profit for me"

The Texas contractor also measures and calls around... He bids $7000... "$3000 in materials, $3000 for my crew and $1000 profit for me"

The New York contractor doesnt even look at the location or pick up his phone... He imediately bids $27,000

The administrator asks the contractor how he came up with such a high figure without even measuring the new location

"Simple" he says... "$10,000 profit for me.. $10,000 profit for you.. And we hire the guy from Texas"

• Like 1

From my experiences (at least in my region) it truely is "the buddy system"... There is no concern in most cases about who is the best or who is the cheapest... Its not what u know, its who you know

Salesmen dont bother speaking about cost or quality... They just take clients to bars and strip clubs

SO MUCH money is thrown away!!!... Nothing is organized.. Hurry up and wait.. Right hand dont know the left hand

It sounds funny saying this... But many times, oil companies are "victimised" by what goes on behind the scenes

I'm pretty sure they did the Alaska Pipeline as cheaply and quickly as possible...it was on their own dime!

The trick is to get them to do the design, and keep the politicians out of it, or they'll sink it in pork and B.S.

If we don't do something like that, we're doomed as a country.  

Look what happened when the government enacted all kinds of clean air regulations (all good ideas and necessary), but refused to help private industry with the cost to retrofit.  Our own government made it cheaper and easier to export our domestic industries, and the good paying jobs with them, and we are left with a service economy, where rich people (the 1%) live in safety, protected by the kids of the 99%, and the rest of us serve them.  That is, if we have a skill they need and can't buy cheaper from someone else.

• Like 1

Ive watched the documentaries on the Alaska pipeline... Truly a marvel of engineering!!!.... And done in an astonishingly short amount of time!!!!

Almost makes me wanna eat my words!.... But that was 40 years ago... Not sure if it would go the same way today??