Basseducer

Marijuana Scent

So, you have a plastic pouring setup in your garage. Your neighbors get a bit miffed by the smells and suspect some nefarious operations going on, and report a possible drugs operation to the police.

The police raid your lab, and upon smelling the ganja extract, tear your 'lab' apart. Place you in a cell for a few days while the forensics people go through your garage testing every surface for residues. Your computer gets confiscated to be searched for more evidence.

This is a reality, it could happen. Sure you are innocent, but what a mad inconvenience to put yourself through for a smell that is most unlikely to attract fish.

I say stick to garlic :)

Dave

So, you have a plastic pouring setup in your garage. Your neighbors get a bit miffed by the smells and suspect some nefarious operations going on, and report a possible drugs operation to the police.

The police raid your lab, and upon smelling the ganja extract, tear your 'lab' apart. Place you in a cell for a few days while the forensics people go through your garage testing every surface for residues. Your computer gets confiscated to be searched for more evidence.

This is a reality, it could happen. Sure you are innocent, but what a mad inconvenience to put yourself through for a smell that is most unlikely to attract fish.

I say stick to garlic :)

Dave

That all depends on what state you're in.... Part of America is coming to its senses and erring to the side of freedom on this subject........ But not in Texas

This is true, but the smell or flavor without the THC has no attracting power. For this reason, if I am using a scent such as garlic, I make it from the raw ingredients, just in case I am missing something. Scent extracts are purely that, a concentrated extract with everything else removed.

On the face of it, this thread is mildly amusing, but a deeper discussion on scents hasn't been aired in a long time. It could get interesting and informative.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Basseducer was just pointing out that our "unnamed pharmacist" is back in the classified section again

But i agree, scent is a good topic

Im not a big proponent for using scents on artificials.. Of course fish can smell, but if im using artificials im after the reaction strike

The right action in the right place at the right time will provoke a strike, reguardless of smell in most situations....

Taste is a bigger factor imo... My favorite baits, before i started making my own, were Berkley powerbait and gulp... In my experiece, fish actually did hold the baits longer just like the package says

Id like to hear if anyone has a recipe similar to what Berkley uses??

This reminds me of a study I saw using young sharks. Fish blood was added to the tank and the sharks went crazy looking for the source. Then human blood was added and the sharks had NO reaction. The point being that the smell of human blood was totally unfamiliar to them.

This reminds me of a study I saw using young sharks. Fish blood was added to the tank and the sharks went crazy looking for the source. Then human blood was added and the sharks had NO reaction. The point being that the smell of human blood was totally unfamiliar to them.

Try adding a drop of human blood into a tank of lawyers. That will get a reaction that will embarrass even the most deadly of sharks. :eek:

Ben

• Like 2

I remember an article in Bassmaster where Berkley they did some testing on scents. They found that the best scents were the water soluble scents because they actually disperse in the water leaving a scent trail. The oil bases scents would simply bead up and rise to the surface since oil and water don't mix. Yes they spread out on the surface leaving an oil slick, but did not mix in the water. This may have been tied into their Gulp line introduced at the time, but it makes sense.

I remember an article in Bassmaster where Berkley they did some testing on scents. They found that the best scents were the water soluble scents because they actually disperse in the water leaving a scent trail. The oil bases scents would simply bead up and rise to the surface since oil and water don't mix. Yes they spread out on the surface leaving an oil slick, but did not mix in the water. This may have been tied into their Gulp line introduced at the time, but it makes sense.

I read an article on Gulp... Not only is the scent water based, but the plastic is too

An analogy was used in the article comparing taste of normal plastic baits to eating a sandwich in a plastic bag.. Sure, you taste the sandwich, but you can still tell youre chewing on the bag

The water based plastic and scent in Gulp claims to "take the sandwich out of the bag"

.......... Naaaa .......... Ya don't put it on the lure ........ Ya put it in the water to give the fish the munchies ........ Just reel slow and layed back

Dang ......... Ya posted while I was typing ........ We must be stoned ..... Lol

Edited by rhahn427

Fish smell through the little holes that look like nostrils called nares, they are not nostrils but openings to a sensory chamber.

Most but not all species of game fish have taste buds around the out-side of their mouths, catfishes taste with their barbels.

Yes, fish do taste and follow the scent. Some fish have stronger 'taste buds' than others. Bottom feeders like catfish, carp, tench, eels have a particularly good taste sense, having in most cases visible taste appendages (cats whiskers).

The reason bottom feeders have more developed taste is because they reside in the deepest waters, where visibility is very poor.

There is a local man made catfish pond. The water is so murky that you cannot see the bottom of a cup of the soup. The anglers use strong, blood flavored bait very successfully.

Dave

My youngest informs me that we now have neighbors who "smoke" in the late night hours.  She leaves her bedroom window while she's awake, and the aroma wafts in, evidently.

Maybe I could bum some roaches off them, and mix them into my soft plastics.  The fish may not like it, but it would give burning the plastic a whole new meaning.  Hahaha

• Like 1

I fished with a Friend for 20 years. A great Fisherman used plastic worms, hula grubs etc......  He passed away last year. Back to my point. He smoked 3 to 4 packs a day. He would burn 3 packs fishing with me. Some years ago I exercised a experiment. Same two rods and line lure. Hand poured worms tied on, however his nicotine stained hands and smoking while putting on the worm.  He would catch 3 fish to my one. I thought that nicotine or smoke residue would put off a oil trace or residue trace that attracted the fish. I don't know.