Fish N Chips

Tried My Ring Swimbaits Out! Fishing Report

Well I finally made it over to the coast to try the new swim baits.  It has been a long and busy summer and I was ready for some fish.  We headed out Thursday and Friday.  The swim baits worked great.  I caught so many blacks I finally took the smaller 3.5 and 2.5" swim baits off (shrimp fly style) just to get to the bottom.  Then the blacks started eating the 7.5" swim baits!  Most came on a clear glitter, smoke and white swim bait.  Some very nice lings and vermilion came on them as well.

The 7.5" swim bait paid off with some nice rock fish, multiple lings and a cab.  They really hammered the bait.  Most the lings came on a white glow bait, it out fished the green, brown and red colors.  The cab came on a chartreuse bait which I lost right after the fish, so I could not judge how effective it was overall.  A lot of the lings were puking up octopus, so maybe the white was mimicking scared octopus some?  I know lings do seem to favor white.  I stuck one octopus on the glow swim bait and was immediately slammed with a big fish.  Several runs and an almost uncontrollable fight, the fish broke me off.  The line was pretty frayed where it broke above the lure, it must have rubbed against a tooth or abraded against the fish.  I did catch some nice 34" and 33" ling on the glow baits, along with some 26-28" fish the following day.

It was a great trip and I was very pleased with the performance of the baits.  They held up well to the teeth and mutiple fish, some of the smaller swim bait tails were nipped off eventually by blacks, but it took a while.  I have enough fish to last me a while, well at least while I pour some new baits and leadheads to replace what I lost in the rocks.

20150723_135909_zpshsphhbzn.jpg

Day 1

20150723_142135_zps0i1vs4mp.jpg

Day 1

20150723_135623_zpsjhajzmat.jpg

Day 1

20150724_164403_zpsqkp69itr.jpg

Day 2

• Like 3