RayburnGuy

Learning To See Artistic Tools In Every Day Life

When I first started this crazy obsession we call lure building I had to make myself see things in our day to day lives that could be used as tools. Whether it was different types of netting for scales or plastic jugs or sheets for making stencils. You have to more or less train yourself to see the value of something other than what it was originally designed for. 

I've just started learning how to tie some hair jigs and trebles so now it's just second nature to look for things that will be useful for tying these baits. I caught myself admiring the hair on my dog the other day and am now wondering how long it will be before she has a crew cut? :?

Ben

• Like 1

When I had a workshop, some locals would come in for a look, to see what I was doing. They would see a 16' bench with several tools hard mounted, a 3'6" square router table which doubled as a glue station, two stand alone duplicator machines with gears and chains, a full size cast iron table saw, a painting station (never completed) and enough shelves to stock a supermarket and all occupied.

I then showed them a completed 1.5" crank. You could see their brains working as they looked at the crank then took another look at the mass of machinery around them, not to mention the 8'x4' test tank outside.

Dave

Especially true for making soft plastic masters... Anything is fair game!

Everybody has that one drawer in their house that collects the most random stuff over the years... Digging through it is like finding burried treasure!

Plus you find out you have ALOT of flashlights!!!

When I had a workshop, some locals would come in for a look, to see what I was doing. They would see a 16' bench with several tools hard mounted, a 3'6" square router table which doubled as a glue station, two stand alone duplicator machines with gears and chains, a full size cast iron table saw, a painting station (never completed) and enough shelves to stock a supermarket and all occupied.

I then showed them a completed 1.5" crank. You could see their brains working as they looked at the crank then took another look at the mass of machinery around them, not to mention the 8'x4' test tank outside.

Dave

I can just see the puzzled looks on their faces as they try to wrap their heads around that. :huh::lol:

Ben

Yea my shop has hotplates, microwave toasteroven and vaious pyrex and kitchen utensils. I had the garage door open and the neighbor saw me stirring pots with a respirator on. So i waved to him then i thought theres no telling what he thinks im cooking up in there at all hours of the night

• Like 1

Yea my shop has hotplates, microwave toasteroven and vaious pyrex and kitchen utensils. I had the garage door open and the neighbor saw me stirring pots with a respirator on. So i waved to him then i thought theres no telling what he thinks im cooking up in there at all hours of the night

I've thought that same thing many times Ccfish. It's a wonder we're not getting raided by the SWAT team.

Ben

Ben, you got me thinking... First about cutting hair off my dog... But that lead to remembering i have several frozen duck wings and a bag of body feathers that i use to get her fired up before duck season every year

Did a quick search, found a little info on using duck quill feathers, but nothing about the body feathers.... I wonder if they could substitute for maribou?

Also read something about dying bucktail in kool-aid... Should work for feathers too??

You'd have to ask somebody more knowledgeable on the subject than me. This is as new to me as it is you.

I do remember something about using kool-aid for dying, but can't remember what it was they were dying. There was a post the other day about dying feathers. Let me look right quick and I'll see if I can find it.

Here ya go. You might give Fatman a holler and see what he says about dying feathers. He posted a picture of some mallard flank that he dyed hot pink that look awesome.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/30163-finally-found-my-flourescent-hot-pink-dye/

Ben

Thanks Ben... Hard to imagine myself in the same boat as you... Ive seen your stuff in the gallery and read many of your informative posts...

Just lends proof to the complexity of this obsession.... So many branches on this tree... So many fruits to taste..... And so many birds to ask about the flavor

That's one reason I love this "hobby" so much. There are so many different aspects of it and you can get into the subtleties of different types of lures as deeply as you want. I've only been doing this for just a tad over 6 years and still have more questions than answers. If you like to learn new things this is a great place to hang your hat.

Ben

• Like 1

Good points by JR and Ben. I have probably learned more here on TU by trying to answer questions than with just reading other peoples answers. Answering a question makes you think harder and deeper on the subject, because you do not want to lead anyone astray.

Inspired by comments here, I have posted a new thread on the subject in the docks.

• Like 1

Ha! I know exactly what you mean.

I get looks just doing regular shopping, as caucasian men usually have a wife or maid to do the shopping. But, shopping in a dress making store, going through the rolls of gauze materials for something suitable does catch people's attention.

How to deal with it - raise your voice an octave and ask if they have anything in fluorescent pink.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 2

Ive done that getting some of that wedding veil mesh stuff. I have always been one for making up stories too. I come up with some great stuff going through goodwill and looking for pewter/tin. *returning a large platter and cooking spoon that wasnt the right metal, coming back with a very small tea spoon and doll plate, "yes the first set was too large for the occasion" 

I really have fun with myself.....  :teef:

Oh yeah goodwill is a Great place to look for useful lure making stuff. I really enjoy the interesting shopping too, and sometimes you'll score an old fixer upper lure :yay: