Vodkaman

Gallery Posts In The Forums

This is always an issue of contention, especially with new members, as this idea is uncommon in the general population of fishing websites. Personally I like the way this site works and would take this opportunity to thank all the moderators for keeping on the ball and maintaining an efficient site.

What I don't understand, is why it is OK to post in the gallery and then link to a thread in the forums. This is basically a 'look at what I have done' thread and goes against the implied intentions of the rules of keeping the forums clear of this kind of thread. Why can't all the discussions on the pretty paint jobs be kept where they belong, in the gallery.

Can an appropriate message be displayed when someone presses the 'new thread' button.

Dave

I would venture to say that not everyone that posts a link in the forum to a picture in the gallery is meant in a "take a look at what I have done" way. The main forums get much more exposure than the gallery and I would bet that some people are truly looking for constructive criticism on their work and advice on how to make it better.

Then there are those that only post pictures ( in my opinion) to gain exposure for their work. These people are easy to spot. While posting plenty of pictures they contribute extremely little, if any, to the community as a whole. And when they start complaining how this forum is run all I have to say to them is "Don't let the door hit you on your way out".

just my :twocents: ,

Ben

I think Ben nailed it... Its hard to separate those seeking gratification from those seeking advice

However, no pictures in the forum is cut and dry.. Easy to understand

When i joined i got an email greeting, as im sure all new members do.... Maybe there should be a link in that email to the site rules (if there isnt already, i can't remember)

Ive seen a few new guys have their first ever post locked out.. It is the rule, and we understand why.. But for them its probably a bad first impression of the site.... Had they been lead to read the rules before posting, i think we would see less of this

See I dislike the way it is set up and find it completely useless in today's age of fast downloads and computer use age not to have pictures in the post (dial up thing of the past).  

Efficient....   nothing about any forum is efficient as 2000 posts on the same topic pretty much destroys that efficiency.   Forums are more about wasting time when you can't be out doing what you want to be doing.    :lolhuh:  How many "topics"  make up the bulk of posts in any given subject.  Honestly take a look at hard baits or soft plastics and delete all the repetitive stuff and you would whittle out huge chunk of material.     Is it efficient to have the same conversation about top coat, what wood to use, where to get micarta, bubbles in plastic, etc......  The same topics get rehashed over and over.  You find the exact same information just presented by someone else that was said two months ago or even years ago in some instances.  Honestly if one is wanting to learn best bet is to search and read the threads and posts from members x, y, and z as most on sites end up being regurgitation of what x, y, and z said anyway.  I honestly don't think I have visited too many forums that reach a certain size that don't get to that point, especially when it deals with the exchange of knowledge. 

As far as contribution to the site that is all up to the individual.  I guess if all they post is pictures but to be honest for some that is enough as seeing good work may lead them to improving a paint technique of body/lip shape or pour differently.  I can give you a list of individuals that (for me) contribute a ton in regards to actual information, expertise, and knowledge that are far from active participants.  I can also point to people that (for me) chime in all too frequently and add little unless one finds scrolling through their posts as beneficial exercise for there fingers.  We are all different in that way 

Many would argue "hey look what I did" technically describes almost every post as well sharing information on a site dedicated to making something is just that.   8O  

Edited by Travis

Travis... Have you been on facebook lately??... I wish they had the same rule.. Then if i felt like looking at pictures with jokes on them i could go to the "meme gallery".... And if not, i coukd actually see what friends and acquaintances have to say

I would hate to see TU go the way of FB.. Not to mention how it would affect the search engine...

I dissagree with most of what you said...

I find jumping in a thread beneficial.. If my contribution is helpful, everyone learns something.. If it is not, someone corrects me, and everyone learns something

As far as repetitive topics.. If they were to stop, TU would become a library rather than a forum........ Many times ive learned stuff i didnt even know i needed to know thanks to these repetitive topics

Yes, paint is part of the build process. So if a member has a paint issue and a pic makes understanding the problem clearer, then yes of course a picture should be posted. Such pictures should be posted direct to the post, NOT the gallery.

ALL pictures related to a thread should be either posted to the thread or linked from a photo host site. If the pic is linked to the gallery, I have to open up another tab. Then I will make a quick decision as to whether or not I want to see the image, and the answer is generally NO.

Requesting constructive criticism posts are gallery posts. They are simply 'look at my work' posts giving permission to give criticism.

Repeat topics; lots of members take issue at this, personally I have no issue with this at all. If you have a question and the search does not bring you an answer or you would like more opinions, then post it. If you are bored with the question, then don't answer it, move on to something that grabs your interest, that is what I do.

If you have several questions then it is usually best to start a thread for each question unless they are closely related. Members, especially new members should not have to worry about whether they will be criticized for asking a question because it may have been posted before.

DAve